WATER HOOK UP AND WASTE WATER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNOAK

Hello all, I am a brand new member and needed some help figuring out how some things work on a travel trailer.I just bought a slightly used 2017 34 ft Nomad with a slide.I am using it a place that has a city water hook up and a septic tank...So this weekend I hooked it up for the first time.I put the water line into the t.t. ,attached the sewer hose and pulled open the handles for grey water and black water and assumed I was good to go.With in a few minutes it appeared that most of the freshwater I was putting in was coming right back out of the sewer hose..So I closed the black water valve and the water stopped coming out of the sewage hose....THEN, water started shooting out of the toilet, fortunately it was all clean water,but I immediately open back the black water valve and it all drained off and quit overflowing..so the question is what am I doing wrong?Should I not have a constant water source running all the time to the trailer or am I missing a valve that needs to be open or closed?I am brand new to this and appreciate any feedback.

It appears that you hooked the water hose up to the waste tank flushing port, not the water inlet port. They should be marked, or at least identified in the manual. You should also not leave the black water valve open all the time. It should only be opened to drain the tank when it's at least 3/4 full. The grey tank valve can be left open, but I do recommend closing it as well for a couple of days now and then, to give the tank bottom a flush when you reopen it. The reason for not leaving the black tank valve open, is so the water will not run out without carrying the solids with it.

Thank you for that info, so there is another water inlet at the front of the trailer and I guess I assumed that was for only the storage tank if I was dry camping..that must be where I need to hook up too...So is it ok to have constant water going to that while in use or should I shut off when the tank is full,and if the tank fills up with water still going to it will I have a problem?

If the other port has a standard hose connection, then yes, you can leave it hooked up. There may be a valve that controls whether the hose water goes into the onboard storage tank to fill it or feeds the rest of the plumbing. When the tank is full, water will run out the overflow drain until the valve is shut off. If there's no selector valve, then there's likely a larger gravity fill port for the storage tank, usually located behind a small door that sometimes requires a key, and the hose port just connects to the trailer plumbing. You do not need to turn on the onboard water pump when connected to the water hose supply.

Thank you for the info,I will have to get myself reacquainted with all the openings..I am sure I will have more questions as time progresses

If you do determine that your motorhome is equipped with a flushing inlet, make sure you turn off the water after a few minutes. I always like to almost fill the tank, drain it, and repeat it a couple of more times in order to flush out the tank really good. Don't do like I did once and forget to shut it off. That one time, my tank filled up and the water rose up a vent pipe and I had a water fall cascading down from the roof. I always use a "y" spigot with individual shut offs with a hose attached to each. One hose goes to the fresh water inlet, and the other to the flushing inlet.  Although it is not necessary, as a matter of caution, whenever I am away from my motorhome for any extended period of time, I always like to shut off all water to the motorhome, just in case something bursts inside the motorhome.

Back
Top Bottom