Topic Locked (Good Sam-Not renewing) - Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

I see this morning that my last thread to the Shade Tree has been locked.  I know administrators have the right to do that but they usually make some remark as to why they have locked down a topic.  The topic involved not renewing a Good Sam membership and a comment made by Marcus Lemonis but it evolved into some discussion of Good Sam pricing and membership.  I did not feel it had degraded into anything political and had hoped it could be continued as some good points were being made regarding Good Sam membership - which I do not discourage. 

Gary RV made an accurate comment that GS was formed as a profit seeking business and is the same today.  True Gary but I joined as Charter Member #0052 and, at that time, it's stated goal was to encourage RVers (a relatively new term) to help each other.  The profit angle came by promoting subscriptions to Trailer Life which of course had it's advertisers.  So supporting a magazine to me is a whole lot different than what the organization is today - a mega conglomerate of Camping World stores that is gobbling up smaller RV businesses. 

So I have gone on long enough but still would like to know what was offensive enough about my thread that it had to be locked - Hopefully criticism of Good Sam or Camping World is not a forbidden subject here....lol

Bill, the topic was locked as a result of later posts which were moved out of sight. It became clear based on these later posts that the thread was rapidly drifting into partisan politics which we like to avoid.

Criticism of Camping World (or any other entity), within forum guidelines, is not forbidden. Members are of course also encouraged to post positive experiences with merchants and products.

I will say that when you start a post by saying it isn?t political, it probably is. And when you say no response is necessary, you can count on responses.  ;)

Thank you for your contributions to this forum.

Bill, I understand why you asked your question. I went ahead and added a comment to the topic explaining what was done and why.

Just about all the Mom & Pop businesses have been swallowed up by the likes of Home Depot, Lowe's, Camping World, Bass Pro Shops, Sam's, Costco and a host of others. Growing up if we needed anything gun related you went to Buck's Gun Rack, fishing related you went the Fishin Hole, hardware it was Dunn Bros., all locally owned. When you walked in the door they probably greeted you by name. Now it is all the big box stores and from my experience the employees usually have no clue about the products or how to use them. You don't even have to leave the house to shop anymore. All the stores I mentioned above have online shopping and then there is Amazon.

Thaks for the replies Scott and Tom.  Since I never saw the follow on posts that were taken out of sight I can understand why the topic was locked.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom