Roof Antannas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Top38

TV Signal on new RV is weaker than my last, a good amount. Not sure is the digital signal converter has anything to do with it or if the antenna is NG. Notice the King OA8300 replacement antenna head. They claim a better signal than the older bat style. Has anyone experience with these. Also with the OA8000 model.
Over the winter I will be installing new TV's so I will be eliminating the converter.
thanks

Digital converters usually have no signal loss, since nearly all of them are powered.

Do I understand correctly that the new RV has a King antenna? It's probably not as good as a newer Winegard Sensar, which has enhanced UHF reception. Many tv channels switch from VHF to UHF when they went digital, and castanets that have weak UHF performance don't do as well.  Also, if you are now trying to receive in an area that is predominantly UHF, whereas you previous were in a mostly VHF area, you may just be seeing that difference.

No both the old one and new on have the original bat style antennas (long thin plates). I am also comparing reception at the same location for both. The number of channels is noticeably less now. Can the antenna go bad?

Yes, it is fairly common to have a corroded or broken antenna wire connection, often at the antenna end. You could try running another piece of coax direct from the antenna jack down to the amplifier box connection (the wall plate with the Cable/Ant switch).

Could it be that your wall plate switch doesn't have power? You will get zero or very few channels if the antenna amp doesn't get power.

The older batwing Sensar needs to have a Wingman add-on to improve UHF reception, but the newer ones are fine without it. I think the Sensars made since about 2008 are all ok on UHF.
http://www.winegard.com/sensar/sensar-tech-specs

Gary, this is a 2002 Winnebage Journey. Without the amp on there is no picture, as soon as I turn it on the picture comes in good for that channel. The light on the face plate does not light up but I figured it was still working since the picture came in once I turned it on. I will check for power also. This also has the Wingman UHF clip on added to the original antenna. I will check the cable connections and also try a test with another cable.

On my last MH, I added the Wingman and it helped a bunch.

That switch not only turns on the 12 volt power, it also connects and disconnects the antenna.  Since it works better in one position and there is no light, perhaps there is no power to the switch.

I am going to check to see if there is power there later today. I am guessing that just the light is out and there is power there but only one way to tell for sure.

Top38 said:
I am going to check to see if there is power there later today. I am guessing that just the light is out and there is power there but only one way to tell for sure.

Check the 12 volt fuses at the same time.

Top38 said:
TV Signal on new RV is weaker than my last, a good amount. Not sure is the digital signal converter has anything to do with it or if the antenna is NG. Notice the King OA8300 replacement antenna head. They claim a better signal than the older bat style. Has anyone experience with these. Also with the OA8000 model.

Let me put it this way.. THEY LIE

The "Older style" (Wineguard Sensar II or III) outerforms the King Controls Antennas. Add the Wingman and the Sensar's are even better.. At the Sensar's WORSE (or King's BEST) THe Sensar was 2x the antenna the Jack was in independent lab tests.. and at the Sensar's best.. Even better.

I added the Sensar Pro module to repalce the traditional wall plate with 12 volt outlet (Missing from the pro) Switch (pro has 3) LIGHT (pro has several) and antenna coneciton (on the pro it' on the rear) Pro also has two digital indicators and more)

What I recommend is a Sensar IV (or if you already have a II or III add the wingman) and the Sensar Pro.. Nothing beats that combo near as I can tell.

NOTE.. Most of the places I park TV transmitters are clustered on a hill somewhere oh about 40 to 60 miles away

IF you are in a location where there are transmitters covering a "Wide arc" THEN the Jack is better.. BUT..... Well the House I used to live in was less than 10 - 15 miles from the towers (Which covered about a 45 degree Arc) under those conditions you need to re-aim when you change stations with the Batwing (Winegard Sensar)  This is why King claims their antenna is better. Even if it's not.

Found two issues, first was no power getting to the booster, power wire was off. Next was whom ever install the digital converter put it between the booster and the antenna so the antenna did not get the 12v! Works great now.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom