4 on the road Toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTM

We just bought a 2005 Holiday Rambler motor home and will be towing a 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid, what do we need to do to the car.....the motor home came with a Blue Ox..thanks for any info, I would like to have some understanding of the set up when I try to find someone to get our car ready.

It appears that your vehicle is towable 4 down based on info from FMCAs towable chart. Check your owner manual. Check Remcos web site. You will need a baseplate for the car. Many base plates will adapt to a blue oxtow bar.  You will need the car tail lights wired so they mimic the RVs tail lights. You need safety chains. You will need supplemental brakes for the car. There are many different braking systems around. Check and double check until you are comfortable the towing arrangement. Be prepared this is costly.

Check on EBay for towing equipment. I picked up a good Blue Ox tow bar, a baseplate, and a Brake Buddy. All in very good condition. Cost was probably almost half of full price. Check, you may get lucky. I did have to get the baseplate installed and a wiring harness installed, plus a set of safety chains. Well worth it. Finally I purchased a device called a Pro-Tect-a-tow. It was a mesh device to protect the towed car from rocks thrown back from the motorhome.

I just checked EBay, there are about 3 baseplates for sale there for a 2013 Ford Fusion.

Some of us with either CMax Hybrid or CMax Energi have been having issues with the active assist brakes when towing for a variety of braking systems.  Ford says to tow with the vehicle totally off, but somehow it occasionally activates the active assist brakes causing them to lock up and screech for a few seconds. When you look at the circuitry for this you can see that some parts of the braking system are never really off.  It is entirely possible that the Fusion may be different, but be aware that the braking electronics are similar,  so it could be an issue for you. Please let us know if you run into problems and we can fill in if we find a work around.

Where are you located?  I know some good places that install towing systems.

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

DTM said:
We are in Rochester,Ny
We recently purchased from Campingworld in Syracuse and had them set up the rig and our car for towing.  Did an excellent job.  Used Roadmaster systems, but they will interface with your BlueOx towbar.  Not cheap!  I just did not feel like getting into the install on this setup.  Wanted it done so we could be on our way.

Just noticed your car is a hybrid. I would be checking the manual to see if it can be towed. Not sure about hybrids.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom