New truck pricing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

link30240

When ordering a truck instead of buying off the lot.  What discount (not counting factory rebates) should I expect off MSRP? Does 10% below msrp sound right or should it be more?  What is the typical build time once ordered?

Thanks

In my opinion, you are going about it exactly opposite of the way you should look at it.  Don't think about how much to come DOWN off of MSRP......think about how LITTLE you will agree to pay them OVER Invoice price of the truck!  Even at Invoice pricing, they are making money, although they will try to make you feel like you are taking their first born child in the deal.  Leverage them from the standpoint that it's a quick and easy deal, no back and forth, they don't have to keep the vehicle in their inventory....it's already pre-sold.  I've bought new vehicles for a few hundred over Invoice prices and when it comes right down to it, most dealers will not let an opportunity to sell a vehicle pass them by, as long as they are making money on it.......and they NEVER....Don't make money on one....even though they will make you feel that way....tsk, tsk.

It's been a while since I've had to use it, but check out the www.Edmunds.com web site.  You can (if it's still the same since the last time I used it) price out a truck, all the options/packages/etc. and get the results in $$ amounts that show MSRP and Invoice pricing.  Those numbers give you POWER to negotiate better pricing instead of coming off of MSRP.  Tell the guy/gal/whoever....this is exactly what I want.....and here's what I'll pay for it...can you do it?

And don't fall victim to the absurd $499 paperwork fees either.....it's just another way for them to make some more profit on the back end of the deal.  To me, a reasonable, paperwork fee is $99....NO MORE.  They will tell you that the $499 is already printed on the buyer's order, at which time you tell them that's fine....I don't care, all that means to me is that you need to find another way to knock an additional $400 off the bottom line.

So in summary, do your homework and make sure you have all the necessary information needed to get yourself the best pricing that you can.  Don't cave in to pressure, and don't feel like it'a an impossible journey.  You have to be patient and prepared to "do battle" if necessary.....without letting your emotions drive your decisions.  Common sense and knowledge will get you through it, as long as you remember.....YOU are in charge of the numbers....NOT THEM.  And BTW.....$300 to $400 over Invoice price is probably an OK deal to move forward with.  Remember, they may not make a killing off of you in the deal, but they will more than make up for it with the next guy that comes in and has no concept of how to deal with the dealers.......just don't let that "next guy" be YOU.

Agreed 100% i often order my trucks because a friend owns a dealership and i pay about $500 over invoice ( hehas to stay in business) but i just bought a new truck at 20k under msrp as they needed to move it, you see dealers start paying on average interest on the vehicle 30-90 days depending on the dealership after the vehicle lands. Ive paid as little as $125 over invoice on an suv because it sitting forever

There is no such thing as a "reasonable" paperwork fee.  They have to do the paperwork in order to sell the vehicle.  That (and other "fees") only exist because people are willing to pay it.

ALWAYS negotiate OTD (Out the door) pricing. 

Take a look at incentives being offered now.  Look at the web pages.  If Chevy can take $11,000 off their $60,000 truck, you already know it was much more overpriced than that to start and you still have bargaining room.  Dealer invoice is not what a dealer is being charged; it is what he is being invoiced (they are not the same things).  .

A good deal is when both parties feel a little bit screwed.  A great deal is when one party feels a lot screwed.  Be the screwer :)

Thanks!  I will search around and see if I can find invoice pricing I have 4 dealers close to me so I have options,

I havent found the truck I want optioned exactly the way I want though, Im hoping this will be my last truck so I dont want to compromise with whats on the lot.  How long is typical build time once ordered on a new Ram?

link30240 said:
How long is typical build time once ordered on a new Ram?

Your dealer should be able to answer that question.

I've seen some come in as short as 3-4 weeks and others take up to 3 months or more.

A lot depends on if everything you ordered for the truck is in stock and how far away the assembly plant is from your dealer etc.
Sometimes the bigger dealers can get them a little quicker as they have deliveries almost every day whereas a smaller dealer might
get deliveries once a week or less.

Once the order is place most dealers can track it online at the assembly plant and have a good idea when it should arrive within a week or so.

One other strategy both my dad and a friend used is to send letters to the close dealerships requesting bids - their very best price.  Demand out the door pricing, and list the specifics you want.  Assure them you WILL buy from the low bidder at that price with a $XXX down payment when ordered.  If they want your business, give you their BEST  price.  There are no second chances or further negotiations.

Hello everyone,

We're also considering preordering a truck. Great tips all around, specially from xrated. Very useful info on the dealer's "invoice" price, albeit we haven't been able to find it on the Edmunds.com site yet (so we'll just have to look harder).

For laughs, here's a fun story from a couple who pre-ordered their new truck: http://roadslesstraveled.us/alice-cooper-sells-us-a-new-truck/

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

Try Dennis Dillon out of Boise Idaho.  Their website lists their bottom line pricing and they are very honest people.  I've bought two trucks from Dave Smith in Kellog, Idaho but Dennis Dillon has their prices beat by far.  No negotiation as they print their bottom line.  Good luck.

steveblonde said:
Agreed 100% i often order my trucks because a friend owns a dealership and i pay about $500 over invoice ( hehas to stay in business) but i just bought a new truck at 20k under msrp as they needed to move it, you see dealers start paying on average interest on the vehicle 30-90 days depending on the dealership after the vehicle lands. Ive paid as little as $125 over invoice on an suv because it sitting forever

Do you mind telling us what you bought, specifically?  What was the MSRP?

And for the OP:

Unless you are buying the most heavily optioned truck:  if you don't want to wait, see if the dealer has exactly what you want with MORE features (I am not a fan of leather seats but some are) and try to buy that for the price you are willing to pay for a truck with fewer features.  If they have it on the lot, they've already bought it and need to move it.  ALSO, see if in your state dealers have to pay an inventory tax. If so, the closer you get to 31 December, the more negotiating power you have on a vehicle that is already on the lot. 

AND.  Since the 2018s are out, If you buy a 2017 you are buying a truck one year OLDER, even if new.  Check KBB or NADA to compare two identical trucks, one model year apart and note the difference in value. 

Roy M said:
The op doesn't say where he lives, Boise could be a long road trip.

Im in Georgia, but I have been watching Dennis Dillon and plan on using their prices as a negotiating tool closer to home but if that doesnt woirk a trip to Boise is not out of the question.

Do to tax purposes though this will not happen till early next year. just researching now.

Drifterrider said:
And for the OP:

Unless you are buying the most heavily optioned truck:  if you don't want to wait, see if the dealer has exactly what you want with MORE features (I am not a fan of leather seats but some are) and try to buy that for the price you are willing to pay for a truck with fewer features.  If they have it on the lot, they've already bought it and need to move it.  ALSO, see if in your state dealers have to pay an inventory tax. If so, the closer you get to 31 December, the more negotiating power you have on a vehicle that is already on the lot. 

AND.  Since the 2018s are out, If you buy a 2017 you are buying a truck one year OLDER, even if new.  Check KBB or NADA to compare two identical trucks, one model year apart and note the difference in value.

waiting isnt a problem as I can do it till March April any way. And need to sell current Truck and Boat to make it happen. I have bought several vehicles over the years and always picked one off the lot that was closest to what I wanted.  But if im going to pay mid 50's for a truck I hope to be my last, I dont want to compromise and dont want to pay for anything I dont need.

I have a family member who is a dealership manager. He wouldn't lie to me, and maybe this is a local issue, but he says that the price shown on the internet for a new vehicle is pretty close to what they sell it for. They can't pad a price listed on the interest because everyone today comparison shops before coming in and if their price is high people won't come through the door.

He said to negotiate the crap out of the dealer add on stuff and trade in, but the price may not move much.

I bought/ordered my Ford F350 Platinum diesel $800 below invoice.  no trade.  All rebates I still got.  $1500 from Ford, $750 for financing, $500 American Quarter Horse Rebate (AQHA), and another $750 Ford Private cash offer.

I joined the AQHA just for the rebate.  A great $45 investment.

I sent emails out to five dealers asking for their best price.  Easy peasy.

DDevers said:
Try Dennis Dillon out of Boise Idaho.  Their website lists their bottom line pricing and they are very honest people.  I've bought two trucks from Dave Smith in Kellog, Idaho but Dennis Dillon has their prices beat by far.  No negotiation as they print their bottom line.  Good luck.

X2 we got ours here for $1000s less....

link30240 said:
waiting isnt a problem as I can do it till March April any way. And need to sell current Truck and Boat to make it happen. I have bought several vehicles over the years and always picked one off the lot that was closest to what I wanted.  But if im going to pay mid 50's for a truck I hope to be my last, I dont want to compromise and dont want to pay for anything I dont need.

Would you accept a truck with climate control instead of the base level HVAC if you didn't have to pay the upcharge?

Drifterrider said:
Would you accept a truck with climate control instead of the base level HVAC if you didn't have to pay the upcharge?

Sure if there was no upcharge and it clicked every other box.  even heated seats wouldnt be a issue.  Color would be a deal breaker though as silly as it sounds.  Seeing how the vast majority of them are white (wife hates them) or black (to hard to keep looking good IMO)  there are 3 or 4 color options we liked.  The Cummins, Asien transmission, dual rear wheels, park assist and back up camera, trlr break controller and 5th wheel prep would be mandatory.  Leaning towards 3.73s as looking at fifth wheels with gvwr's in the 17k-20k. but 4.10s wouldnt be a deal breaker.

Probably going to spec out a tradesmen but its possible I might go with a Big Horn.  still trying to research what upgrades the big horn comes with stock over the tradesmen.  Seems that info isnt so easy to find

link30240 said:
Sure if there was no upcharge and it clicked every other box.  even heated seats wouldnt be a issue.  Color would be a deal breaker though as silly as it sounds.  Seeing how the vast majority of them are white (wife hates them) or black (to hard to keep looking good IMO)  there are 3 or 4 color options we liked.  The Cummins, Asien transmission, dual rear wheels, park assist and back up camera, trlr break controller and 5th wheel prep would be mandatory.  Leaning towards 3.73s as looking at fifth wheels with gvwr's in the 17k-20k. but 4.10s wouldnt be a deal breaker.

Probably going to spec out a tradesmen but its possible I might go with a Big Horn.  still trying to research what upgrades the big horn comes with stock over the tradesmen.  Seems that info isnt so easy to find

Color choice isn't silly at all.  I bought a new car last year and it is the first ever I've bought in the color I wanted, not in the color I could get at a discount.  I dislike Red vehicles. 

Most of the upgrades are really just trim levels and "bells and whistles".  I've spent time on all the big three "build your own" truck websites.  It is frustrating.  Ford has TEN variations in their F150 line.

There is a very good series on YouTube:  The Fast Lane Truck.  I watched, recently, performance testing of the 1500/150, 2500/250 and 350/3500 series of trucks.  They discuss engines, transmissions, GVW, max towing weight.

Based on my search there are no dealers who will have my truck on their lot.  I want basic with A/C, power windows, long bed, double//ext cab and good payload and towing.

When I determine what to buy, my starting point will be a trim level or two UP, negotiating from a price of the base model.  All they can do is say no.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom