Air Springs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reniram

I had been thinking about these for quite a while,and my recent trip to Colorado convinced me that our highway maintenance system is not getting any better and I should at least try them out.  A set of Firestone air bags for the rear axle arrived at my doorstep and I set the rig up for installation..It was fairly straightforward..I was able to do the work without removing the rear wheels which saved  some time...It helped a lot by having the hydraulic jacks to raise the rig initially...I am running with 55# air pressure which just raises the rear about 3/4" ..I can certainly feel the difference when cornering and the bumps  have softened somewhat...so I am hoping our winter trip to Florida will be little more relaxed on the highways... there is definitely a different feel to the rig and I think the $330.00 was money well spent....It took me almost 5 hours for the install..dodging rain showers and such.

He has a motor home that he put them on.  I have a 2004 Chev 2500 that I pull my trailer with and carry my golf cart in the bed.  I put them on and it really helped keeping everything level.

Most trucks will benefit from its installation.  I had the in my 2500 Silverado,

Yes, 26HE Winnie  Vista with the Ford V10 and F53 Chassis...Google air springs...The setup is specific for your particular vehicle and comes in one carton with all required fittings , nuts and bolts instructions  etc....The only thing you really have to worry about is drilling through the main frame, making sure there are no fuel lines or wire harnesses behind the area..I  took the time to carefully run and secure the air lines  so I won't have rubbing or chafing taking place down the road....also be  sure that when you hook up the air tubing to the special fittings everything is correct the first time!...they cannot be disconnected !...I also put extra pipe dope on the screwed elbow going into the top of the air bag....didn't seem to have enough and I definitely didn't want any air leaks in the setup....Very happy with the results....

I have put air springs in every tow vehicle ive owned in the last 15 years as a way to level out the vehicle, as a safety feature they keep the vehicle level so the front doesnt get light and bounce, headlights stay level so you are not shooting at the stars at night, and they help return the vehicle to its factory stance as intended.
However there are some missconceptions around them
Airbags DONOT and i repeat DONOT increase payload or towing capacity on a non commercial vehicle just because the bah says 5000lbs capacity it doesnt mean you can load 5000lbs. But when loading a trailer either bumper pull or 5er they level out the truck taking out the sag in the rear
When installing bags i alway suggest the on board compressor and either cab mount or remote control with a line out the rear for a manual fill, ALWAYS keep a min of 5 lbs in the bags at all times because if they are flat with no pressure they will rip
I have sold 1000,s of bags they should be standard equipment if towing and i will put them on my dually soon as even though my rating is 5200lbs cargo and my fiver is 3000lbs the rear of my truck still squats a bit when loaded

When I install the air bag helpers I add a ping tank to the system. It will make the ride better and still give you the support you want or need. Just google "air bag ping tank" for an explanation of their function and benefit.

mocotom said:
When I install the air bag helpers I add a ping tank to the system. It will make the ride better and still give you the support you want or need. Just google "air bag ping tank" for an explanation of their function and benefit.

Try finding room under a newer truck  for an additional 2 tanks without interupting wiring etc its not easy its a novel theory though- but im not sure it would work because you are having to pressurize that overflow resovior aswell

Back
Top Bottom