Is it hard to remove an awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

I would like to take my awning off my travel trailer and bring it home to clean it    Does it just popped off easily or is it a big deal to take it off?

I don't know about yours but I had mine removed a few months ago so it could be thrown out. Removing it was big deal for the guy who did it.

Not a big deal but removing the whole thing is very awkward. The canvas part simply slides out of a track on the roller and a similar track on the trailer end. There is likely a small screw on the trailer track that stops the awing from creeping out of the track. You will have to unroll it to start and then find a way to stop the spring in the roller from winding back up while it is out. Mine required drilling a small hole in the end cap of the roller and sticking a nail in it to prevent it winding back up. Take care, that spring can be dangerous.

IMHO, it would be easier to clean it while in place by simply rolling it out and letting it hang down the side of the trailer by removing the bracing if this is possible on your model.

Anything can be done with enough effort.  Removing and replacing an awning to clean it seems to me a recipe for disaster.

It is nicely mounted in a frame, you can get at both sides with a brush and extension handle. What more could you want except someone else to do the work?

Take it off and then  put it back? Not me!

It's probably not the best idea just for cleaning.  Those springs can be a problem and it might require a couple of people to do it.  We had to remove one of ours because of damage and it was not easy!  It took both of us, Jerry on the roof and me on a ladder to do it.  It's not a job for one person who isn't familiar with how they're put together.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom