Is Your Trailer "Tracking" True

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Memtb

We should have posted this weeks ago, but have been very busy and forgot (CRS)  :(

We were returning home from Mesa, Az. after having our roof replaced on our 5er. We were following a "brand new" 5er, being towed by a couple on their first outing with the new unit. While following we observed that the 5er was "tracking" very badly. You couldn't quite read the name on the side....but it was bad. They were "totally" unaware of the situation. We waved them over, and explained what we were seeing.

Soooo....maybe we all should have someone follow us for a short drive and make certain that we "don't) have a similar issue!

Steve,  Without actually spending the time to research, I can only surmise that the axles were "not" placed the same distance from front corner of frame ( one set of axles closer to front of frame than the other). Though, I have heard of the 5th wheel pin "not" being centered (left/right), on the trailer frame. There are other possible causes, but on a "brand new" unit, the first to options are my first guesses.

Would a trailer that isn't tracking true affect the tracking of the TV? Meaning I've let my hands off the wheel in our truck when towing our "bumper pull" trailer, for just a bit, and everything continues to run straight down the road.

Hammster said:
Would a trailer that isn't tracking true affect the tracking of the TV? Meaning I've let my hands off the wheel in our truck when towing our "bumper pull" trailer, for just a bit, and everything continues to run straight down the road.

Now that's a question," above my pay grade"!  I don't think so. Though... it would probably cause excessive tire wear and ( just guessing here) possibly cause trailer to "drift" one way or the other during hard braking. Possibly exaggerated on slick roads!

They may have had a broken spring.  A nasty pothole or a defective spring can be a problem even if the trailer is new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom