Need to test wall mount radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HMD001XX

I have a 2016 Thor Hurricane with a Jensen AW914 wall mount radio.  The radio will not power on and I have checked the fuse, which is ok.  I need to determine if power is reaching it before I take it to the dealer and I am an electrical novice.  Therefore I need some assistance. 

The RED wire is labeled "+12VDC SWITCHED' and the BLACK wire is labeled "GROUND".  I have a multimeter but need to know how to connect these wires to determine if there is power?

Thanks!!

It's not to tough to do but if you've never done it I understand.

The red wire is usually the +side of the circuit and the black wire is usually the - of a circuit.

You need to have the multimeter in the DC setting then if you have access to the wires put the red probe on the red connector and the black or a ground which is usually bare metal somewhere near where you are testing.  You need to test at the connector or pierce the wire so there is contact with the probe your using to test for voltage.

I assume the Key will need to be in the ACC setting but maybe not.
If you don't get any readings then there is no power going through the wire.

Some fuses look good but can still be bad.  If you have another fuse try that - if you don't look for one that's the same as the radio fuse and try it just to see if it might work. 

If it still doesn't show any readings then try and follow the wires and see if you can find where they are hooked to.  Maybe they fell off.

Did the stereo ever work?

Do you have a master switch in the coach?  Are you running on shore power?

Connecting the meter is easy. Red to Red, black to black in this case.. If needed use a straight pin to poke through the insulation in the wires.

NOTE: Be sure to set the meter to DC VOLTS and at least 15 volt (most it's the 20 volt) range.

However.. I will say this.. IF YOU HAVE TO ASK how to connect the meter. The job of diagnosis is beyond you.

The diagnosis wasn't beyond me so you were incorrect in your statement.  Power is getting to the radio and it needs to be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom