KVH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedandSilver

When I bought my MH the PO left a KVH TracVision on the roof.
I was on the roof and I think there are 4 or 5 wires coming from the dish going to the inside of the MH.

There is a power? switch near the TV that says TracVision and lights up when flipped but of course does nothing as there is no receiver.

The PO said he use to have service with in-motion and they took that away so he canceled their service.
Since I'm alone, I can't watch TV while driving so that wouldn't bother me.  But at a rest area could I turn on the TV and use it for ? hour?

I'm curious as to what I would need to add if I wanted to setup satellite service.

Is all I would need is a receiver?  IF so, is there a good one for not a lot of money?  Any links to them?  Do you buy them outright?
What is the least $$ anyone is paying for service.  Is $49 a month the least cost to use Dish service?
What is the pay as you go service?  I looked and never saw that on DishTV's website.  Is there a minimum amount of time it has to be active?  Can you use it for a week and then turn it off? 

How long of a cable can you run?  If my coach is parked in my yard and can get signal - can I run a cable from the coach to my house and watch
TV in my house?  OR is that a dumb idea?

Is internet something you bundle with TV service.  I doubt that it would only be $20 more like the AT&T Mobley Deal - right?

You need a receiver and a subscription to the satellite tv service, either Direct or Dish (the dome will be set up for one of the other). The receive is unique to the service you choose. Most receivers are actually rented, i.e. you "buy" it at a store but have to pay the service a monthly rental fee in addition to the fee you paid at the store. It is possible to actually buy your own, though, and pay no rent.

Pay as you go is described here: https://get.dishformyrv.com/

Just to watch TV ...You don't need that satellite dish,  or the monthly fee for a Dish service,

Unless you are parked way out in the middle of nowhere there are aprox. 100 free channels on over the air digital TV.  ABC, NBC CBS National and local news, as well as movies channels, shopping channels and many other great channels.

Check your TV and if it's an older one you may need a digital TV converter antenna box, (about $20 at Walmart) if it's a newer TV they can be just plugged in to the coax cable.

For the internet...If you have a 4g smart phone you can go on the internet and do just about everything you need as far as email and web sites etc..but you can't watch any movies.

Thanks for the replies.

Gary thanks for the link to pay as you go.
Depending on the cost I would prefer to buy a receiver and pay no rent, especially since I all ready have a dome antenna on the roof.
I bought my home router and modem so I didn't have to pay rent.

Tony.
I use over the air antennas at home now and will be taking them with me when I travel.
However I have been to campgrounds that I could not get any TV reception at all.  It wasn't a big deal as I was only there a week.

I don't know where you live but I get about 30-40 channels at home - the ones in HD are crystal clear.  Most I ever got was 50 in Indy.
So I know about them and if I have good OTA reception then Satellite will not be an issue, but I wouldn't want to be in a park for month's
at a time with no TV - not that I'm a big TV watcher but I do like to know what's going on local or around the world to keep in the loop.
I do have a smart phone but I also know that there are areas that certain carriers don't work, and I won't know that till I get someplace.
So it may or may not be an issue - that is why I'm checking into the satellite option - I like to be prepared - so I'm doing research.....

Now can anyone tell me what the cost for pay as you go is?  And is there a minimum time it must be active for?

Are there different levels of receivers?

Is it true that you can flip some switches on an antenna (Dome) and use it for either Direct TV or Dish?  I'm not positive what mine is set for.
Is there a way to tell - without committing to a provider?

Does anyone get internet through their Satellite system?  If so, do they double the fee to add internet on a pay as you go account?

Prices are shown on the site I referenced, based on your programming choice.  Pay as you go is a monthly rental. You get one full month for the fee, and only one month. If you want more time, you pay for another full month.

Yes, there are base and premium receivers, but not every dish or dome can support every receiver.

Some domes or dishes can be re-tuned by flipping dip switches, while others need new firmware or even replacement components. You didn't identify the KVH model you have, so no answer is possible. Typically, though, a older KVH needs re-programmed firmware.

Your dome is for broadcast tv only, meaning it only "reads" and cannot transmit. So no internet with that one. It is possible to install a transmit/receive dish, but the service was expensive and performance mediocre, so not all that popular once cellular data became practical. A couple of services went out of business and only HughesNet is left.
https://www.satelliteinternet.com/plans-pricing

Back
Top Bottom