Travel trailer tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbyg2013

I have a 26' travel trailer, dry weight around 5K and its time for four new tires.  Seems every brand that is favored by one person, is vilified by another.  I guess we can't agree on any one brand but I am sure there are a couple brands out there that stand above the rest.  Would appreciate knowing what you think.  Thanks.

Dry Weight is useless.

Is there a reason you don't want to use the same tires that were on it?
I would assume they were rated for the GVWR of the trailer - or at least should have been.

So IMO if you go with 4 new tires and they can handle the GVWR or more you should be fine.

Is one brand better than another?  Maybe ask the tire dealer what they sell the most of in your size.

bobbyg2013 said:
I guess we can't agree on any one brand but I am sure there are a couple brands out there that stand above the rest.  Would appreciate knowing what you think. 

What I think, and actually do, is buy tires made in the USA and let others argue about the the cheap imported stuff.

Many trailer owners praise the Maxxis brand ST (trailer) tires. Good quality and usually rated for more than the usual 65 mph limit for ST tires.

The key thing, though, is to get a tire rated for the max axle load. Preferably somewhat more that that, so that the tire is not always working at its upper limit of capability.

Consider the new Goodyear Endurance line. They are the only ST tire now made in the USA.  As they are new not much history yet, however they are D & E load rated. I just replaced my Westlake tires (China made) with these US made.

bobbyg2013 said:
I have a 26' travel trailer, dry weight around 5K and its time for four new tires.  Seems every brand that is favored by one person, is vilified by another.  I guess we can't agree on any one brand but I am sure there are a couple brands out there that stand above the rest.  Would appreciate knowing what you think.  Thanks.
  Everyone has a different amount of experience with trailers in general..... especially tires. Some folks may not put but 5k-8k a year for  a few years and others may put 25k-30k miles a year for 20-30 years. So yeah everyone has a opinion.

The only ST tire brand I'm aware of that hasn't had across the board reliability issues is a Provider ST tire. The tire carries the nylon belt under the tread cap and is 81 mpg speed rated.
They have been around mostly in the commercial side since the '11 or so era.....very popular with those folks with 14"/15"/16"/17.5" in  load C/D/E/G/H and J.

As mentioned the new Goodyear Endurance is making a big hit with rv folks as well as Carlisle new HD series ST tire.

Maxxis ST8008 are a bit dated and still 65 mph rated. Not all sizes has the nylon belt under the tread which may account for some rv folks reporting issues with them. Do your homework there.

Longhaul wrote:
    Maxxis ST8008 are a bit dated and still 65 mph rated. Not all sizes has the nylon belt under the tread which may account for some rv folks reporting issues with them. Do your homework there.   

Time to do your homework, my Maxxis 8008 ST tires are speed rated to 99 mph.  235/80/16 radial tires.  They will obviously never see that speed with me towing the trailer, but....I'm just sayin.

I've had the Maxxis 8008 ST tires on two trailers prior to the one that I have now and never had issues with any of them on any trailer.  They are a quality tire for trailer duty.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
It appears the ST8008 speed rating may vary by tire size & load range. The 16" LRE models seem to have a higher speed rating than the 15" LRD sizes.

Have you actually seen a Maxxis ST tire with a speed letter on it's sidewall? If you ever do please take a picture because Maxxis is very wishy washy in their statements about trailer tire speed ratings. 

Here is Maxxis' answer.....

"Here is Maxxis's answer...

To ensure your reply reaches the proper destination, do not modify or remove the subject line of this email. Chetty,
The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial is "Q" speed rated. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires, without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:

From 66 to 75 MPH ? the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.

From 76 to 85 MPH ? the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.

We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
Your Maxxis Support Team
--
Maxxis International ? USA
Email: [email protected] | Web: maxxis.com"

xrated said:
Here is Maxxis' answer.....

"Here is Maxxis's answer...

To ensure your reply reaches the proper destination, do not modify or remove the subject line of this email. Chetty,
The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial is "Q" speed rated. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires, without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:

From 66 to 75 MPH ? the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.

From 76 to 85 MPH ? the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.

We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
Your Maxxis Support Team
--
Maxxis International ? USA
Email: [email protected] | Web: maxxis.com"

It's a cheep "cop out" by Maxxis. If you had access to a TRA standards manual you could verify that all ST tires can be so manipulated with inflation pressures to do the same thing. Besides that, almost all original equipment ST tires are already set at a recommended tire inflation pressure equal to the tire's maximum allowed pressure for maximum load capacity of the tire. Then again there is the vehicle's owner's manual. It clearly says to never use inflation pressures above what has been recommended on the tire sidewall to support the tire's maximum load capacity.

FastEagle wrote:
Then again there is the vehicle's owner's manual. It clearly says to never use inflation pressures above what has been recommended on the tire sidewall to support the tire's maximum load capacity. 

Which is exactly what Maxxis said in the letter that I posted!

xrated said:
FastEagle wrote:
Which is exactly what Maxxis said in the letter that I posted!

Oh, I think they already knew what the owner's manuals have to say about tire safety.

They don't have to worry about tariffs like the China plants do so they keep beating around the bush when it comes to speed letters on their ST tires. Just about every ST tire manufacturer has speed letters on their current production of tires, even the ones made in the USA.

Has anyone seen any brand of ST tire with a "Q" speed rating?

Ya know, the bottom line in all of this for me, and many thousands and thousands of Maxxis customers is that they produce a quality tire that has proven itself over millions and millions of miles......and that is what people want, a tire that is good quality, dependable, and they don't have to worry about blowouts everytime they hitch the trailer up to go somewhere.

longhaul said:
  Everyone has a different amount of experience with trailers in general..... especially tires. Some folks may not put but 5k-8k a year for  a few years and others may put 25k-30k miles a year for 20-30 years. So yeah everyone has a opinion.

The only ST tire brand I'm aware of that hasn't had across the board reliability issues is a Provider ST tire. The tire carries the nylon belt under the tread cap and is 81 mpg speed rated.
They have been around mostly in the commercial side since the '11 or so era.....very popular with those folks with 14"/15"/16"/17.5" in  load C/D/E/G/H and J.

As mentioned the new Goodyear Endurance is making a big hit with rv folks as well as Carlisle new HD series ST tire.

How dare you call the chosen one a bit dated, while saying some other brand might be a better choice...  ;D  Carlisle has been my ST tire of choice for many years, with nary a problem. About due for tires come spring, and would like to get some more feedback on the new GY Endurance. Trying to maintain 65 mph, and not get run over on Interstates with 80+ mph speed limits is a bit stressful at times. When traffic is traveling 20+ mph faster than you are, bad things can happen real quick. (especially with everyone spending as much, or more, time looking at their phones as they are at the highway) A tire that would allow me to go 70-75 in those situations would be a nice addition.

xrated said:
Longhaul wrote:
Time to do your homework, my Maxxis 8008 ST tires are speed rated to 99 mph.  235/80/16 radial tires.  They will obviously never see that speed with me towing the trailer, but....I'm just sayin.

I've had the Maxxis 8008 ST tires on two trailers prior to the one that I have now and never had issues with any of them on any trailer.  They are a quality tire for trailer duty.

The last time I looked  Maxxis still had not put any speed letters or other form of speed identification limits on their ST tire line-up. In accordance with NHTSA regulations, if there is no speed rating on the tire sidewall the tire reverts to the TRA standard 65 MPH for ST tires. Maxxis can say whatever they wish but if that letter "Q" is not on the sidewall their words are meaningless. 

BobX2 said:
How dare you call the chosen one a bit dated, while saying some other brand might be a better choice...  ;D  Carlisle has been my ST tire of choice for many years, with nary a problem. About due for tires come spring, and would like to get some more feedback on the new GY Endurance. Trying to maintain 65 mph, and not get run over on Interstates with 80+ mph speed limits is a bit stressful at times. When traffic is traveling 20+ mph faster than you are, bad things can happen real quick. (especially with everyone spending as much, or more, time looking at their phones as they are at the highway) A tire that would allow me to go 70-75 in those situations would be a nice addition.

Just so you know, the new Carlisle Radial Trail HD is speed rated to 81mph, I bought a set for my trailer over the summer, and it says so right on the sidewall.
Priced pretty reasonable too, I got my 205/75-15 load range D for $58 apiece from Amazon, free shipping with prime!
Just double checked, looks like they went up to $74 now though!

My advise to the op would be, stick with one of the few brands that seem to have a good reputation.
Goodyear Endurance
Carlisle Radial Trail HD
PRovider ST
Maxxis ST
Don't hear much about them, but I put quite a few miles on the Kenda Loadstar tires as well , with no issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom