Not getting power from shore power to the RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vetmom

We have a new problem with our older motorhome.  Yesterday it was fine hooked up to shore power, moved to new place and when plugged in it's not powering the motorhome.  I have checked with a voltmeter that there is current to the end of the cord that plugs into the RV but it doesn't do anything once it is plugged in.  Everything that works off battery- lights, water pump, etc works fine.  If I turn on the generator everything else works fine.  I've checked the circuit breakers in the bedroom and they are alright.  Please help, would like to be able to plug in for power!  Thank you in advance!

vetmom said:
We have a new problem with our older motorhome.  Yesterday it was fine hooked up to shore power, moved to new place and when plugged in it's not powering the motorhome.  I have checked with a voltmeter that there is current to the end of the cord that plugs into the RV but it doesn't do anything once it is plugged in.  Everything that works off battery- lights, water pump, etc works fine.  If I turn on the generator everything else works fine.  I've checked the circuit breakers in the bedroom and they are alright.  Please help, would like to be able to plug in for power!  Thank you in advance!

Assuming yours is setup like mine, sounds like your transfer switch is stuck in the genset mode. Just replaced mine which was stuck in shore mode.

This can be confirmed by taking the cover off of the transfer switch and checking voltage at the shore power terminals; if you have power there but no power to the coach, it?s the switch. Be extremely careful if you do this last check as there are open terminals with high voltage

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am a total novice at the electrical stuff so any clue where the transfer switch would be and what it would look like?

As a novice probably best if you don?t open that switch as it can be dangerous. That said, I?m not familiar with your coach but mine?s in the electrical bay where the shore cord is attached. Would be a black or gray box about 8? square.

It sounded based on you description like your shore cord detaches from your unit which would be different than mine, so others may have better info to offer

Yes, that is correct the shore power cord detaches from our unit.  I'll look around a bit.  Thanks for your time!

One other thing you might try that is simple is to flip your circuit breakers off, then on again.  Sometimes they trip and it's not readily apparent.

Transfer switch is wherever the genset and shore wires come together. Usually in a compartment near where the shore cord connects, or directly behind the load center (120v breaker box).

When you checked power, was it at the coach end of the cord, or somewhere inside the coach? It could be as simple as a bent or broken contact where the shore cord connects to the coach.

Thanks for all your replies, sorry I was out for the rest of the day but I'll be looking more tomorrow.  My generator is in the front and the shore power comes in at the rear but there is a compartment just in front of where it comes in with a lot of wiring and fuses and a switch that says battery.  When I checked the power it was at the end of the cord that goes into the coach.  I did try switching those circuit breakers but maybe I'll try doing it harder.

Might resort to that hammer trick if I figure out the transfer switch.

Sometimes we overlook the most obvious things, so have you made sure the utility box has the power switch turned ON?  Most of us turn it off when we leave a site as a safety measure.

ArdraF

You said you had an older motorhome. Do you even have a transfer switch? Not all motorhomes have it. My 2008 Tioga does not.  I have to physically connect the shore power cord to a receptacle. I would ask you to take a look inside the receptacle, but you have to have a little bit of electrical knowledge to do so. If you are brave enough, you can check for power there, but be extremely careful, since you are dealing with hot wires, so I caution you.

Knowing the year, make and model would help.  Perhaps someone with the same RV would have had the same problem.

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

Sorry, didn't add that information cause it shows up for me at the bottom of each post, thought all could see it. It is a 2000 Damon Escaper

Not sure if I do have a transfer switch, I do have to plug a separate cord into the shore power and then plug that into the RV.  I think that must be where the issue is, today while trying a again I pushed the plug in harder and wiggled it around and it came on!  Maybe should get a new cord?

Yeah, just not real sure how to do that since it is like built in to the side wall towards the back of the motorhome.  For sure would need an expert for that!

If I understand,
You have power at the end of the power cord, but not to the coach.
It works on generator, using a different cord and MH plug????
It finally worked on shore power by wiggling the cord at the MH end.

If correct, this certainly points at the MH plug.  One easy possibility is loose wiring.  With the MH unplugged, pull this connection out and verify all wires are connected and tight.

Let us know what you find!

Back
Top Bottom