2004 Workhorse 8.1 Water Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

My waterpump has started to whine. I'm going nuts trying to find the correct pump and not pay a rediculous price.

Ultra RV Products shows PN 89017773 (W8000530) which seems to cross to an ACDelco 251-693 at much more reasonable price.

Can any of you shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,
Tom

Can you read the casting number and do a internet search for that number and corresponding AC Delco part number?

No, I can't get to it until I have it off. I'd just take it off, but I can't leave it in my drive for more a a couple days at a time in consideration of my neighbors.

One of the things I'm concerned with is the rotation direction. I'm thinking that could be either direction even with the same casting number just using a different impeller.

The JEGS site has the Delco 251-693 and lists it as "Standard" rotation. My understanding is that "Standard" means it turns the same direction as the crankshaft and therefore would use a grooved pulley. My pump rotates "Reverse", opposite of the crank (smooth pulley, back side of the belt).

Yet several forum posts by Oemy's (aka Oemtech, Dale Olson) indicate this Delco part as the correct replacement.

ARG!

Here are some cross references from Oemys web site.

Part # Description Supplier
W8000530 Water Pump OEM
12558870 Water Pump    (Casting #) GM OEM
252-783 Water Pump AC Delco
130-7090 Water Pump GM
TFW 44089 Water Pump NAPA

http://www.oemys-performance.com/

Thanks Richard,
I'm aware of Oemy's site and thought I'd looked there. I must have missed it.

However, the listing for the Delco pump is contradicted by Oemy himself in forum post where he says 252-783 is a light duty pump with fewer vanes on the impeller and smaller bearing setup. In that post he says ACDelco 251-693 is the correct pump. But I see on retailers websites that this is a Standard rotation pump whereas I need a Reverse rotation.

I'm still confused. Don't want to install the wrong pump only to find out that it doesn't cool when the weather gets hot.

Tom

Last year  friend who has a 8.1 in a 2005 W-24 Workhorse Chassis needed a new water pump and his research based on the casting number on the original pump on his 8.1 lead him to the AC Delco part number 252-783.  He even disassembled the new pump to compare it to the original, and they had the same number of vanes, and appeared to be identical.

Here is a link to a you tube video he made of the R &R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcrKZbW-ueY&t=1510s

How did you determine the "whine" was the water pump instead of the power steering or something else?? Usually a water pump will start leaking around the seal or out the weep hole.>>>Dan

Paul, I discovered this video earlier this evening. Thanks for the part number. I didn't catch that in the video.

Utah, I had the belt off and the whine was evident when spinning the WP. All other pulleys felt good and made no noise.

There is a barely perceptible amount of play in the power steering pump pulley and I have some fluid seepage. I suppose I'll be dealing with that in the near future.

Tom

How many miles on your Pace Arrow?  Ours is a 2005 with 34,500 miles.  Before reading your post, a water pump replacement was the last thing I'd be thinking about.  But if it's something that's prone to failure in a Workhorse Chassis, I want to know about it.   

Find out exactly witch pump you need and look hear.
https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=8.1L%2F496%20water%20pump&page=2
Bill

garyb1st said:
How many miles on your Pace Arrow?  Ours is a 2005 with 34,500 miles.  Before reading your post, a water pump replacement was the last thing I'd be thinking about.  But if it's something that's prone to failure in a Workhorse Chassis, I want to know about it. 

76,000 miles on our 2005 8.1 and no problems yet.  Knock on wood.

Heli_av8tor said:
Paul, Hope your engine luck continues. But didn?t you have a tranny problem? What happened there?

I believe you must have me confused with someone else.  The only problem I have had with my tranny is several years ago it wouldnt do anything until I shut the engine off and restarted the engine, then it worked fine, but I dont believe I posted about that, and we havent had that problem since.

We have had problems with the exhaust system.  A couple of years ago a bolt in an exhaust manifold broke off and allowed exhaust right on the number 7 spark plug wire, burning it in to.

Also, we have replaced the exhaust donuts three times in the last four years.

The third problem we have had is the harmonic balancer failed three years ago.

My new pump is installed and running. I used the AC Delco part number 252-783.
While apart it made sense to replace radiator and heater hoses.
I also pressed new bearings into the idler and tensioner pulleys.

I?d like to think I?m done for awhile but I discovered the right side exhaust donut is leaking.

And if that isn?t enough, DW wants a Trav?ler satellite dish installed before the next trip.

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions.

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom