Cheyenne Wy/vent sealant question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattyRN

Does anybody here who is good at evaluating an RV live out or near Cheyenne right now?  We currently live 7 hours from there but a camper popped up for sale that is pretty much what we are looking for with 4 full sized bunks.  The owner is about 50 miles North of Cheyenne on I 25.  I tried contacting a few local RV repair businesses but I wasn't able to speak to a real person and just ended up leaving a message.  I'd be willing to reimburse someone for their time.

Patty

If you specify what sort of rv you are looking at you may get a better answer, are we talking travel trailer, or diesel pusher?

It's a 2007 Jayco Eagle 325 bhs.  He sent me some pictures of the roof and seals and there is one that I'm concerned about.  There appears to be significant enough cracking to allow rain to get in.  Maybe I'm overreacting but when I enlarge the photos the cracks seemed pretty bad.  I had to edit the photo in order to put it here and hopefully you can enlarge it enough to see what I'm referring to.

Attachments

• IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 25
Cracking like that is common on older dicor lap sealant, I would say it needs to be replaced, but don't necessarily think it would be leaking yet.

I doubt if that sealant leaks (yet), but touching up sealant is an annual affair and easily done. You can check inside for evidence of water intrusion, but I don't think those plumbing vent seals are going to be a problem.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I doubt if that sealant leaks (yet), but touching up sealant is an annual affair and easily done. You can check inside for evidence of water intrusion, but I don't think those plumbing vent seals are going to be a problem.

Agree with Gary. These vents have a flange with screws to hold it down to the roof. Between the flange and the roof, they 'll use a sealant sometimes like a butyl caulk, screw it down to the roof then run the caulking over all the screw heads to prevent them from leaking.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom