The finished product using ZEP.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I finally got the RV back yesterday and started applying ZEP to the rest of the trailer. I had done a couple of areas 2 weeks ago but had to leave to go to a fair. Then it had to go back to the buffer. The days are getting real short here so it took him a while. He works at a Ford garage in the daytime as their auto detailer.  The guy finished buffing it. It had a lot of oxidation. It came out pretty good. I applied 3 coats on the entire rig. The front end cap ended up with 4 coats. I am very pleased with the way it came out and I would recommend it. I purchased 2 gallons on Amazon. I did the entire trailer on about 3/4 of a gallon. A gallon goes a long way. Now we'll see what it looks in about a year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Can you post a picture.
Sounds like a heck of a lot of work.

3 coats is probably OK, but 5 is recommended by those that have applied it and 5 is what we did on ours, It has been 2 years now with only one maintenance coat at the end of a year and it still looks great. We just got a compliment from another Bounder owner today. Chuck

chuckbear said:
3 coats is probably OK, but 5 is recommended by those that have applied it and 5 is what we did on ours, It has been 2 years now with only one maintenance coat at the end of a year and it still looks great. We just got a compliment from another Bounder owner today. Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I think I'll go for at least one more. 
Bob T,  It's no work at all. Just put some on a micro fiber cloth and wipe it on. Just make sure there are no runs before you move onto another section. I would say it actually takes about 1 hour or a little lomger to do a coat. It takes more time to move the ladder.

Wow Rene!
That does sound easier than waxing.
Thanks for sharing.

I did our old MH with it and was amazed at the difference..
But it took 4 coats to look decent and 5 coats was better yet...

Bob

Bob T said:
That does sound easier than waxing.

Yes it is easier than waxing but I'm not saying it's better than waxing. Some here on the forum are dead set against using ZEP and that waxing is the only way to go. I don't profess to know what is the best process. I just know what works for me. Many members here have had excellent results and some have had poor results. I think that much of the issues are created by a poor prep job.

I have been using Zep for a number of years and came up with a lazy way to apply.  Using a Swiffer  covered with a micro fiber cut to fit the applicater and taped on.  Then pore just enough Zep to cover the bottom of a container, dip the Swiffer in, drag it across the edge to remove most of the Zep .  I can do most of the coach standing on the ground.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

llib enad said:
      I have been using Zep for a number of years and came up with a lazy way to apply.  Using a Swiffer  covered with a micro fiber cut to fit the applicater and taped on.  Then pore just enough Zep to cover the bottom of a container, dip the Swiffer in, drag it across the edge to remove most of the Zep .  I can do most of the coach standing on the ground.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

Bill, that's a great idea. The only concern I would have is that it mat be difficult to see any runs.  And I have soooo many things that will create runs.  Awning arms, trim pieces, vents, door frames, ladder, topper mounting brackets etc. I'll do it by hand. Thanks anyway for the idea. It may help others. 

I just went out and did coat #4 and #5 on one side. #4 did make a difference but I'm not so sure about #5. I'm still going to do the remainder of the RV with a total of 5 coats. An extra coat can't hurt I don't think. 

I plan on stopping at a Blue Beacon Truck Wash (1 hour from my final destination) on the way to FL in a couple of weeks. Anyone know if their soaps will affect the ZEP?

Rene T said:
I just went out and did coat #4 and #5 on one side. #4 did make a difference but I'm not so sure about #5. I'm still going to do the remainder of the RV with a total of 5 coats. An extra coat can't hurt I don't think. 

I plan on stopping at a Blue Beacon Truck Wash (1 hour from my final destination) on the way to FL in a couple of weeks. Anyone know if their soaps will affect the ZEP?

We used Blue Beacon once and never again. The coach looked terrible after whatever they used on it. There were stains and splotches all over after it dried, and after a few months, we have still not been able to get it all back to what it was.

chuckbear said:
We used Blue Beacon once and never again. The coach looked terrible after whatever they used on it. There were stains and splotches all over after it dried, and after a few months, we have still not been able to get it all back to what it was

Strange, last year on our way to FL, we pulled into the same one we're going to use this year and they did a excellent job. They washed the entire 5vr and the truck and applied a coat of RainEx and only charged us $47.00. They had one guy who was the boss with about 8 little monkeys going all over my set up RV and truck.. He cracked the whip.
I see you're also from FL. I used the one just off I-75 at Exit 285.

chuckbear said:

Chuck, when you say "one maintenance coat" are you saying to just wash it and apply one coat of ZEP?

I have a question Rene: how long do we all have to wait for pictures of this shiny new rig?!  ;) ;D

Sun2Retire said:
I have a question Rene: how long do we all have to wait for pictures of this shiny new rig?!  ;) ;D

I don't really think you'd see anything in pictures. You'll just have to take my word for it.  ;)

What Zep product are you using? Zep makes hundreds of products from glass cleaner to drain cleaners and most things in between, including lube sprays and bearing grease. After reading this thread I googled Zep and still couldn't decide what you're using.

sadixon49 said:
What Zep product are you using? Zep makes hundreds of products from glass cleaner to drain cleaners and most things in between, including lube sprays and bearing grease. After reading this thread I googled Zep and still couldn't decide what you're using.

Keep in mind, a gallon goes a long way. I ordered 2 gallons and only used about 3/4 of a gallon on the first jug. I have a new second jug which I may never use.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=zep+wet+look+floor+polish&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=177831232476&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9556058888072494622&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002479&hvtargid=kwd-129821029020&ref=pd_sl_7614cs13mc_e

sadixon49 said:

We used the drain cleaner followed up with a good coat of bearing grease :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom