The finished product using ZEP.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully this works. What your seeing in the 1st picture is the reflection of the colorful trees in the slide out wall. I also did all my vents and access doors like for the fridge, stove hood vent, furnace and water heater.
The last 2 pictures show the reflection of my porch railing.

Attachments

• DSCN0287.JPG
    DSCN0287.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0286.JPG
    DSCN0286.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0285.JPG
    DSCN0285.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 57
Hi Rene T,

Thank you for posting this information. Looks like buffing down the finish before applying the ZEP is an important step. I'd just do the higher portion of our coach as the Pledge seems to work really well on the base area.

One question for those of you have been using ZEP. What do you wash the RV with when it does get dirty? I'm  concerned about using something which will remove the ZEP I just put on.
I see that ZEP produces a neutral concentrate floor cleaner. I wonder if that's what we should use.

https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Zuneut128-Neutral-Concentrate-1-gallon/dp/B00360DG9S/ref=sr_1_20_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1508583498&sr=8-20&keywords=zep

And what if I want to wash the rubber roof with a mixture of water and bleach to kill any mold and a mild detergent. Will this cut through the ZEP polish I just put on?

We use an ordinary car wash, NOT the wash and wax type. I would never use bleach on the coach, including the roof. Bleach is caustic and will not be kind to any finish, including the ZEP. Chuck

chuckbear said:
We use an ordinary car wash, NOT the wash and wax type. I would never use bleach on the coach, including the roof. Bleach is caustic and will not be kind to any finish, including the ZEP. Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I'll keep that in mind. What would you use if you started getting mold on your roof?

I spot clean it with white vinegar. If you have a rubber roof, use one of the rubber roof sealers on it and you won't get the mold. Chuck

I did ours with a different acrylic floor polish with similar good results. 
I put on about 4-5 coats, can't remember exactly and it held up well for a long time.  What I wanted to do, and I still feel like this would have been a good plan had I had time to pull it off was after the primary application, let it cure for a a couple weeks to a month, then do a light "maintenance coat" thing right away to kinda smooth it out.
That plan fell apart and I didn't do the maintenance coat till maybe a year or so.  I'm way past due doing another.  I think now it might need a good scrubbing and reapply several coats.  It's been a while
Maybe here in a another month or so when it cools off a bit more I'll bring it home and do it....

blw2 said:
I did ours with a different acrylic floor polish with similar good results. 
I put on about 4-5 coats, can't remember exactly and it held up well for a long time.  What I wanted to do, and I still feel like this would have been a good plan had I had time to pull it off was after the primary application, let it cure for a a couple weeks to a month, then do a light "maintenance coat" thing right away to kinda smooth it out.
That plan fell apart and I didn't do the maintenance coat till maybe a year or so.  I'm way past due doing another.  I think now it might need a good scrubbing and reapply several coats.  It's been a while
Maybe here in a another month or so when it cools off a bit more I'll bring it home and do it....

Brad, what will you wash it with?  I think it has to be something real mild so it doesn't remove the polish. I was thinking of using a few drops of Dawn in a 5 gallon bucket of water.

yeah, just regular soap and water.
Before I did the original application though, I scrubbed it very hard and thoroughly with barkeeper's friend hoping to break off the oxidation.
My read on it is that any soap and water or normal car wash cleaners are fine after the application.  I did notice though when doing some work around my leak issue, that solvents really cut the polish... that's what you want to stay away from... acetone, mineral spirits, WD-40 probably.... that'll remove it.
Mine isn't zep brand, but I feel like it's basically the same thing...

Hi Rene T,

I'm no expert here but I read when doing the finish on my RV, that using dish soap takes the gel coat off. Ironically that is what I used when I cleaned my coach  :(  but it was dull anyway. Perhaps previous owners had clean it that way. So I wonder if that might remove the ZEP or part of it?

On your roof I was wondering if you could clean it (scrub it some) then spray with a disinfectant like Lysol to kill mold? Again, no expert here but thought that might get you where you want to be.

Dish soap WILL NOT remove gelcoat. It will remove wax and in time will also remove the Zep, but it will take a while since Zep is an acrylic and not  wax. Washing the roof with it will not harm anything as long as you do a good rinse of the sides. Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom