1991 Bounder :( No main Batt power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisH

Hello, My name is Christopher and I am new to this forum and Rving alike.
so,  I bought this 91 Bounder 34J, ford chassis,7000 watt onan gen 154 hours and 460 motor off of craigslist for $7000 with 43,000 miles.. Everything seemed to be good until we went camping. we noticed a burning plastic smell in the front of the rv after we parked at the site for the night. Upon trying to start it up in the morning it would not turn over. I was however able to start it with the aux start button, got home everything was working again, I go camping the next week and again nothing, Now my radio, tail lights and headlights along with the ignition wont work.
Checked batts, they are 13.6v, sanded grounds and batt leads fuses seem good.
and again I can start it using the aux batt button, I hit the main batt disconnect and can hear it clicking so maybe that is not the issue? Any advice would be appreciated. I am told by my neighbor its maybe a fuseable link? Anyone ever heard of this happening, and why it happened a week after I bought it lol. Darn Craigslist.

Obviously a problem with the chassis (engine) battery. Could be a bad connection or poor battery condition. 

You mentioned 13.6v battery, but if that was measured with charging active (shore or engine running), it is meaningless. And was that the house battery(s) or chassis?

That's what I thought too, so I swapped the battery positions, aux to main, main to aux still nothing.
13.6v was with nothing running or shore power.
The battery's were all bought in April of this year, Three of them to be precise. they all read the same

update, turn aux batts off at the switch and click batt condition it dimly lights up as full then suddenly drops to low then dims out. but the battery's say they are good?

I kept on clicking the main battery disconnect and got power to my dash until I tried to start it with the key heard a click then no power again. Any thoughts?
Relay maybe? I suck at Tech stuff.........

Solved! Bad relay, bypassed it by connecting red wires on both sides now to order the part.

If that relay is  black and rectangular, it's probably from RV Custom Products. Used in most Fleetwood gas coaches.

This is the same kind of Relay that I bypassed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072N8NYN2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A28RQFLRWWQV8N&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom