Replacing hot water tank with instant unit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

Is it feasible to replace the hot water tank with an instant hot water unit? We wont be doing any boondocking and always plan to stay where there is power so thought it might be a good idea. Any opinions?

I did it years ago and it worked ok they have been improved since then. I had the girard the original had a very primitive temp control but the latest is a digital unit. It's made to be a direct swap out for a suburban and need a little work to fit for an atwood.

An electric probably isn't practical due to power requirements.

I would think that the instant units would be either or electric or propane.
So you would give up that part - other than that I guess it would just be the cost involved.

I haven't run out of hot water yet so I don't see a need for one.

If your water heater needs replacement anyways or you run out of hot water on a regular basis
then it would be fine to upgrade, if the price wasn't to high.

I've talked to several people that installed those on demand water heaters. Most of them have had problems with the flow/temp control.

We still have the original gas water heater and never have any problems.

Do your research before you jump into this. When I ordered my current M/H I thought I wanted the instant hot water heater but the dealer suggested I check with people that had them before I order it. They had customers that weren't happy with them and even a few that even replaced them with conventional water heaters. Checking turned up a lot of "unhappy campers" with complaints of not enough hot water and shots of cold water everytime the facet was turned off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom