Not seeing many class A's with king bed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

All of the Class A's I've looked at have queen size beds. How come they don't have Kings, I'm sure there are a lot of couples who would like the extra sleeping room.(My wife moves around a lot) Also, I would assume that it wouldn't be terribly hard to make room for a king. Anyone done it?

Simply a matter of size (floor space). You can only fit so much in 350-400 sq ft, so including a king bed means you give up several sq ft of something else, e.g. bath or kitchen space or maybe a washer/dryer.    You can have anything you want in an RV, but you probably can't fit in everything you might think is nice. For that reason, few rigs under 40 ft come with kings. Some offer it as an option, but the units on dealer lots usually do not include it.

Quite a few rigs have room for conversion to a king if the night stands along side the bed are eliminated, but that also puts the edge(s) of the bed close to a wall, so accessibility needs to be considered as well.

If you are shopping new coaches, will it be gas or diesel?  he Coachmen Pursuit gas coach has a king bed in the 32WC model. So does the Fleetwood Flair LXE 30U, HR Vacationer 32A, Thor ARIA 3401,  and several others. Here is a list of the king bed models from one source, but I don't know if it is all-enclusive or not:
http://motorhomes.com/page/king-bed offers:

I agree with Gary.

IF you have to have a King size bed your going to have to give up something else for sure.
Also walking around a King in a MH is going to be much tighter.  IF you find one with a King imagine trying
to put clean sheets on it.  Can you walk around it with no problem.  IF you have to lift the mattress up to
put on the sheets it will be heavier then a Queen for sure.

Are you saying it would be impossible for your wife to learn to sleep on a queen?
Have you ever stayed in a Motel room with a Queen size bed?

Just saying If your not both well over 6ft tall I wouldn't rule out a great floor plan because it didn't have a King size bed.

My neighbors came over the other day and saw the inside of my motorhome for the first time and saw my full size bed and
said they had a King in their 5th Wheel and wished they didn't.

But if your willing to give up room someplace else and have to have a King size bed - Go for it.  ;D  Although harder to find, right?

Our motorhome has a regular queen.  That's 80 x 60.  The slide is large enough to accommodate an RV King, 72 x 80, but that would create other problems.  We ended up ordering a custom made mattress that is 68 x 80.  The additional 8 inches will make a big difference.  Only 4 inches narrower than the RV King so hopefully, we won't be kneeing and elbowing each other all night long.  ;)

I didn't know that there was a difference between regular mattress sizes than RV mattresses. Is that true across the board?

An RV Queen bed is 60 x 74 inches.  A regular Queen is 60 x 80.  An RV King bed, also called a narrow King is 72 x 80.  A California King bed is 72 x 84 so same width only longer.  An Eastern King is 76 x 80.   

Some RVS have 60 x 80 queen size beds, others have shorter ones.  You have to measure them to find out.

We are having the opposite problem, trying to find a certain 5W model that has a queen size  bed instead of a king.

I didn't know that there was a difference between regular mattress sizes than RV mattresses. Is that true across the board?

No, not true across the board.  Some RVs use various custom bed sizes to fit in the space available, while others use standard sizes.  The bottom line is that you cannot generalize and have to measure the size in your specific RV.

In smaller rigs, the short "camper queen" is fairly common. It allows a cross-wise bed placement without a bedroom slide. Narrower beds are used in shorter rigs also, just to make them fit. Cut-corner, single bed mattresses used to be common in Class C or B but not seen much anymore. Everybody hated them!

We too opted for a king bed in the new rig. As a matter of fact it was one of about 3-4 "must haves" when we were shopping it out.  30% of my day is spent there, it HAS to right.

King bed was also our priority in getting our 2016 33C Bounder.  We have always had a king bed at home, and were not going to sacrifice in the coach.  We do have narrow walk around space and the bed is difficult to make especially since standard king bed linens are bigger than the bed (72 X 80), but worth it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom