Who owns a TT toy hauler? Personal experiences sought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drifterrider

I am leaning towards a toy hauler (TT) as my retirement full time home.

In an attempt to avoid "analysis paralysis", I'm seeking your experiences (both good and bad).

My "must haves" are a space to sleep comfortably while the toys are loaded to that seems to put me in the 25ish + foot range.  I'm going to want a dry bath.  Otherwise, I can always add the bells and whistles as I see fit.

What did you find that you just couldn't live with (or without)?  I have a low slung cruiser M/C and might get an ATV (it is called a toy hauler because of the toys :)

Thanks.

Quite honestly, what I want and can't live without does not matter.  What do YOU want?  I can't live without a recliner, but you are likely different, and they are hard to find in small Toy Haulers (TH).

Do some quick math.  How big a garage do you need?  10 ft?  Add 8 ft for a decent bedroom and 5 ft for a dry bath.  We are at 23 ft.  How much kitchen / living room do you want?

If you plan to full time, what about storage space?  On a rainy week, will the walls feel like they are closing in on you?

What is your intended tow vehicle?  Larger, more comfortable TT  TH will be beyond the capabilities of most if not all ? ton trucks.

The best advise is to go shopping and see what is out there that you like, then buy used.  Remember, this is not a cheap lifestyle!

My brother has a fifth wheel toy hauler. Its 32 ft. and with the garage, it seems like limited living space compared to a similar sized trailer. As stated, it is way too much trailer for a half ton. He has a one ton dually he pulls it with. I have a class A, 38 ft long and pull a 16 ft enclosed trailer for my toys. Its like a toy hauler, but the best of both worlds. I can put my atv, as well as my motorcycle in. Also leaves room for extra stuff we want to bring.

I have a 40 ft toy hauler 5er with an 11ft garage i would not want anything smaller at 11ft the living space is only 29 ft ncluding about 12 ft of bedroom

grashley said:
Quite honestly, what I want and can't live without does not matter. 

Yes, yes it does.  That is why I asked the question and was specific about personal experiences.

It is cheaper for me to learn from your mistakes rather than mine.  Additionally, you might mention something that I've not thought of, but should.
Did your bike scrape the ramp transition going into the box?  Did you have a side load and find the bike too long to fit?  Did you discover your floor tie downs were not as robust as you thought they would be?  Et cetera.

For full timing I find toy haulers living space is limited. I love mine, but could not really fill time while hauling toys. They need to come out to live in comfortably. Only way I would full time while hauling toys is with 5ver.  But again so far I haven?t found one that I would be comfortable in full time. I like living space. 

Derby6 said:
For full timing I find toy haulers living space is limited. I love mine, but could not really fill time while hauling toys. They need to come out to live in comfortably. Only way I would full time while hauling toys is with 5ver.  But again so far I haven?t found one that I would be comfortable in full time. I like living space.

What size is yours?  I find I spend most of my time at home in a 12 X 12 room for everything except sleeping. 

I have a 29' KZ MXT. It uses the "hybrid" garage plan, in that there is no separate garage. I can fit 4 bikes in it, still use the upper bunk, and the bedroom while loaded. Once I get to my destination, unload bikes, fold down the seats, etc and have plenty of room.

I use the PitBull trailer restraint system exclusively. Very secure and very easy to load/unload. No straps.

I love my automatic levelers and my Winegard Trav'ler.

I think you've got the right idea by asking about experiences so I'll add a little bit here.

I live in my 40' Toyhauler five months out of the year.  Okay, the 40' part sounds massive doesn't it?  The problem is only 28' of it are habitable because of the garage.  Yes you may spend very little time inside but believe me when the weather traps you it can get pretty cramped even with just me.  Having said that...

Starting small is a great idea.  If you're dragging a TT instead of a 5th wheel you've got some storage in the back of your pickup truck assuming that's what your using, a future ATV should fit there nicely.  The other thing I highly recommend is starting "used" and learn what you're doing.

I have a 34 1/2' tow behind Toy Hauler with a 10' garage area.  That leaves approx. 24' of space left for kitchen/living room, bathroom, and bedroom.  It's a pretty small space, but it's just the two of us and we don't full time.  There is no way in the world I would want to full time in it.  In my opinion, full timing would require a coach of some size and towing an enclosed trailer behind it....or a car if you aren't into motorcycles like my wife and I are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom