Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebutcher95

What size  generator what I need to power a 50 amp fifth wheel. And could you also make a recommendation as to what kind I?m partial to Honda

It depends on what you want to power up. If you want to have the full 50 amps, you will need a generator that's rated for 12,000 running watts.

Well I don't know about that.

I have a 7.5Kw in my coach and I can power everything up at the same time with the generator alone.

Yes the Honda's are a nice unit but the 2000W ones won't get you too far, and daisy chaining 3 of them to get 6000 would
not be worth it to me.

However getting a 6000w generator is going to be somewhat heavy and noisy compared to the Honda's.

Generac makes some nice units but cost a little more - Then again do you want it to last - don't skimp on this if you want reliability.

How many things would you be running at the same time will determine what size you need.
If you have 2 AC unit and could get by with just one running you could get by with less BUT if you don't want to just get by I would
buy a bigger unit - but like I said it will be heavy and do you have room for it?

Most people find that a 3000 watt generator works well for them, if all they have to run is a single roof AC unit and some other light duty odds and ends. While not light, a 3000 watt'r is still light enough for the average person to carry around. Honda makes a great generator, as does Yamaha.

Kev

Well I don't know about that.

I have a 7.5Kw in my coach and I can power everything up at the same time with the generator alone.

Well, a 50A shore power connection has up to 12,000 watts available. Whether you have enough stuff in your RV to actually consume that much would depend on the RV and how it is equipped.  Many coaches certainly can do so, or even exceed that, but many can get along nicely an about 7500 watts.

We have two ac units. But wouldonly run one if down south. We really just want it to run regular systems. Sayif the power goes out pull the plug and replug into the generator.

thebutcher95 said:
We have two ac units. But would only run one if down south. We really just want it to run regular systems. Say if the power goes out pull the plug and re-plug into the generator.

Well in that case you could start with a 2000W or 3000W Honda as they are light and small and easy to pack in your 5W.
Then if you found it would only handle 1 AC unit and not much else then you could buy another and daisy chain them.
But I think a 3000W would run 1 AC unit with no problems and probably a few other thinks like your fridge too.
If your only planning on only using it when the power goes out that should be more then enough since the power doesn't
go out too often in most places.
If you ever go boondocking well then that might change things - but if that's not in your plans then I would probably
start with one Honda 2000w or a 3000w and see how it goes.

Do you have an inverter on-board your 5W?

Hello folks,

I must be missing something. 50A x 120V = 6000W, so a 6-7KW generator should be enough, no?

Anyway, if I were the OP, I would start with one like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100263-Generator/dp/B01FAWMMEY

It's dual fuel (ie it does run  on propane, useful to avoid carrying gas around just for the generator specially if your RV is diesel, and also for not having to worry about stale fuel gumming up the carburator) and should provide enough oomph for a single AC. For dual ACs turned on simultaneously, it can be paralleled with another one like it and then should give you 50A easily.

Also, Champions have good reputation, 3 year warranties and cost less than half per Watt than the Hondas (which are not dual fuel).

And no, I'm not a Champion salesman nor connected to them in any capacity ;-)

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Fifty Amp service is actually two legs of 50A each at 120V for a total, of 12, 000 Watts. They provide two sets of 120V circuits.

Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Ernie n Tara said:
Fifty Amp service is actually two legs of 50A each at 120V for a total, of 12, 000 Watts. They provide two sets of 120V circuits.

Ah! So that's what I was missing! :)

I knew it had 2  legs of 120V, but I thought they were 25A each so 50A *total*, not 50A each.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

As has been noted what size genny depends on what you plan to power.

Battery charger only.. 1,000 watts (A TRUE 1000 the EU-1000i may or may not do the job depending on your converter but a GENRAC 1000 will)

Microwave or water heater or an air conditioner all take around 1500 watts running and a whole lot more on teh A/C starting,, 3,000 watts for one A/C is the minimum.

Full power...  Well my 50 amp Class A came with an ONAN 5500 watt and yes that does the job.. that is also almost exactly 1/2 of what 50 amp park power can provide.

I have left over power as another forum member can attest.

IF you are partial to Honda's I'd go with a pair of either EU-2000i or EU-3000i  The latter will give you nearly the full 5500 watts I have.  But the former should do the job if you are a bit conservative (Run water heater on GAS or do as I did and change out the 1500 watt element for a 1500/4 (375) watt element,, that's a 1500 watts at 240 volts element running on 120 volts if you need to know how to find one. (Halve the voltage divide power by 4))

We have a Honda 2000i.  Use it frequently even though we have a hardwired 5500 Onan.  It's quieter, less costly to run and unless we need AC, it adequately runs most everything in our RV, just not everything at the same time.  If you want to run the AC, consider the Honda 3000. 

Or consider installing a Micro-Air soft start on the AC and then running everything including the AC on a smaller genset.  A 2000w will start a 15K BTU A/C if it has the Micro-Air modification.  A 3000w will run a pair of A/C units and provide power to the hotel stuff in the RV also.  A pair of Honda or Yamaha units hooked together would do everything and do it in eco-mode comfortably. 

https://www.microair.net

Madcow:

Or consider installing a Micro-Air soft start on the AC and then running everything including the AC on a smaller genset.  A 2000w will start a 15K BTU A/C if it has the Micro-Air modification.

OK, I followed the link.  Lots of claims on the site.  But man, $300 for that device?  As most soft-start kits are just capacitors, that is a lot of coin.  Do you have one?  Are you running a 15K A/C off a Honda 2K?

If I can be sure that it DOES really work, I might spring for one.  I have an older eu2000i that ALMOST starts our Coleman 13.5K A/C, but not quite.  I don't want to buy another generator, nor do I want a larger one.

Just skeptical at this point.  What can you tell me?

Frank.

Many Coleman a/c units come with the "hard start" capacitor/PTCR already in place - mine did.  If yours does not, it can be added. You probably just need this kit, or something similar if your a/c model differs:

https://www.amazon.com/Device-Package-Coleman-Conditioners-8333A9021/dp/B004RCOW5Q

Gary:

I'll get up there on the roof today pull off the cover and see if my air conditioner is equipped with such a device. If it doesn't, then I have a couple of choices. Either the capacitor you note, or the Micro-Air drvice.

I spent some time yesterday searching the internet for people having problems with the micro air device, and did not find any. The product may perform as advertised. One of the things that I did find out in my searching is that it also makes it easier to run an air conditioner off of an inverter. My system may support an air conditioner, but my Sunforce 2500 watt inverter will not accept the momentary load.

Anyway, I'll give both some more thought.

Thanks.

If you are fond of Honda, you would like the Yamaha generators too.  I have a Yamaha 6300W inverter style generator that I had bought for putting in my 7' x 16' enclosed trailer for the times I needed reliable power at the motorcycle race tracks that we went to, that didn't have reliable power when the paddock started filling up.  From a quality standpoint, the Yamaha is, in my opinion, every bit as reliable as the Honda products, but they are slightly less expensive.  I'm not suggesting a 6300W genny for you (they are big and heavy), but Yamaha does make a bunch of the other smaller size generators too.  The Yamaha was every bit as quiet as the Honda and I'm happy with mine.  In my new T.H., I've got an Onan 5500W built in genny, so the Yamaha is relegated to home use as stand by power if the electric goes out for any period of time.

Frank B said:
Madcow:

OK, I followed the link.  Lots of claims on the site.  But man, $300 for that device?  As most soft-start kits are just capacitors, that is a lot of coin.  Do you have one?  Are you running a 15K A/C off a Honda 2K?

If I can be sure that it DOES really work, I might spring for one.  I have an older eu2000i that ALMOST starts our Coleman 13.5K A/C, but not quite.  I don't want to buy another generator, nor do I want a larger one.

Just skeptical at this point.  What can you tell me?

Frank.

I installed a soft start unit from Hyper Engineering, it's the single phase 115V unit at $229 and works as intended.  night and day difference starting my a/c from a generator. my generator used to struggle with the surge requirement, not any more. also I do run the a/c from my inverter occasionally and the reduced surge
is kinder to that too.. it's a proven technique been in use for a long time in industry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom