30A RV using 50A outlet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen S.

So I've been reading all these topics about 50A, 30A, outlets being worn out, power legs being different voltages... the question that keeps bugging me is... do all the 50/30 dogbones use the same leg of the 50A circuit to power the 30A RV?

Wouldn't that put more strain on that leg? Or is the wiring at the 50A outlets sufficiently random or offset that not all 30A rigs would pull from the same side?

Would you want to carry two dogbones wired differently, and test each leg to see which you would use in that campground?

You have too much time on your hands. Forget this nonsense and go camping!  ;)

I have no idea whether the typical 30/50 dogbone uses one side more than the other, but either one has nearly 2x the required capacity. And wires don't wear out from having the electrons jiggle around in them - the nuclear forces keep them in line. And the voltage should be stable unless the wiring is poor to begin with, in which case all bets are off.

I don't think you need worry too much.

Stephen S. said:
So I've been reading all these topics about 50A, 30A, outlets being worn out, power legs being different voltages... the question that keeps bugging me is... do all the 50/30 dogbones use the same leg of the 50A circuit to power the 30A RV?

Wouldn't that put more strain on that leg? Or is the wiring at the 50A outlets sufficiently random or offset that not all 30A rigs would pull from the same side?

No and NO

Some use one leg, some the other, only way to be sure is to use a OHM METER and test

And no, it will not put a strain on that leg, the leg is designed to provide 50 amps. and you are only drawing 30.. IT's loafing along at 30 amps.

For our previous 30 amp coach, I had two 50/30 adapters, one on each leg, although that happened purely by chance. Only once did I ever see a need to change to the other leg of the 50 amp service, and that was at an older park where it appeared the 30 amp outlets were all using the same leg of the 50 amp service, leading to low voltage at times. The low leg would sag to 102-106 volts, while the other leg held pretty steady at 115-119.

Back
Top Bottom