EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Can anyone donate their trailer or RV FOR 1-2 months to help Fire victims in San  (Read 324 times)

HollyBrowne

Hello RV Community-

Today we are working towards creating a safe haven for victims who have lost everything in the Santa Rosa fires. It seems that at this time, people are receiving clothing and other necessities but as the nights grow cold, there are families needing a place to call home for the next month or so.

This being said, we are asking you to consider temporarily donating any RV's, trailers, 5th wheels, or any type of mobile living space for 1-2 months. We will thoroughly clean the trailer before it is used and before it it returned to you.  Pick up may be available. The drop off location is in West Santa Rosa (out of fire danger).

Each trailer will be parked in a private, gated complex, which has portable bathrooms/showers, electricity, water, a place to run doggies, and additional donated resources. We are working closely with local efforts such as Red Cross, and with your help we can provide a temporary place for families to lay their heads while they rebuild their lives.

Please text or email if you can support the cause 🙂. Thank you so much! Please share!

Ashley 707.303.5117 / Ashleyhbrowne@gmail.com

HueyPilotVN

• ---
I just spoke at length with Ashley.  This seems to be a legitimate response for the people in the Santa Rosa area.  Her Family has a business with a large fenced and secure area that can provide the space for providing a temporary housing sanctuary for the victims of the fires.

This is a serious and complicated situation.

We discussed how having actual participation by both the party donating the use of an RV and the recipient of the unit might make the donor feel more comfortable about the family using "Their Rig".

We talked about ongoing inspections of the units in the same manner as a hotel would maintain inspections of rooms.

Our heart goes out to families that have lost everything but there has to be a way to help in a smart and compassionate way.

I am sure that many question will come up about this subject.  I told Ashley that I would post this initial and qualified endorsement about this concept and we can get into many of the issues and have her respond.  She is very open to ideas on how to make this work for both sides.

I am very open to donating the use of my rig after we get all the details worked out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:44:09 PM by HueyPilotVN »
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
34' Stacker Trailer, Trailer Toad
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
Most people wont lend their rv to a family member, let alone a complete stranger. My thoughts go out to those in need, and I hope they get some help.

John Beard

• ---
Not even,nope, nada, forgetaboutit, no.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

Isaac-1

• ---
I too feel compassion for the victims, but I also saw the condition FEMA trailers were returned in after Katrina and Rita
2002 Safari Trek 2830

HueyPilotVN

• ---
I understand the reluctance and concern about this ides.

I spoke to Ashley again just a few minutes ago and told her that most RVers use their RVs so that they know who has been sleeping in their bed and using their bathroom.  It is also understandable to have these concerns.

I suggested to her that a better approach might be to look for victims that have lost their home but that do have friends or family that might have RV's and for the Red Cross Center that they are setting up in their companies secure fenced lot to provide the infrastructure and security for supporting the parking and services to the victims.

I also told her that she might get more participation from local people that still had a home and had an RV in their driveway.  I also told her to get third party endorsement and be accompanied by the Red Cross and local officials to gain credibility with potential donors.

I hope their efforts can help the folks that have lost so much.

Feel free to give any advice that you think might help.

Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

WILDEBILL308

• ---
Why don't they get some Fema trailers moved in to the area?
I won't let my Brother use my RV.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Tom and Margi

• ---
Very good advice, Bill.  Addresses the concerns and offers suggestions to improve response.  I think friends, family or locals would be much more open to lending their RVs, of whatever type, than lending them to a stranger.  Charity begins at home is so much more than just a trite statement. 

WILDEBILL308

• ---
I remember after Catrina that Fema gave people money or vouchers to stay in hotels and to rent apartments. They should be looking at those type solutions. I don't think you are going to find many to loan RV's and who is going to pay for delivery?
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

WILDEBILL308

• ---
I remember after Catrina that Fema gave people money or vouchers to stay in hotels and to rent apartments. They should be looking at those type solutions. I don't think you are going to find many to loan RV's and who is going to pay for delivery? Set up, Insurance?
I can't imagine the lawsuits if some one gets hurt in your loaned RV. Does your current insurance cover. I drought it.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
Have you tried contacting places like cruise america or used RV lots? They may be willing to donate some, specially since this is coming into a down time up in the northern states. They could take a tax write off.
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

HueyPilotVN

• ---
I remember after Catrina that Fema gave people money or vouchers to stay in hotels and to rent apartments. They should be looking at those type solutions. I don't think you are going to find many to loan RV's and who is going to pay for delivery?
Bill

I am not trying to convert anyone or say that your position is wrong.  Ashley told me that the scope of this disaster is such that people are driving a couple of hours away to find motels/hotels.

I told her that I applauded her efforts to help her neighbors in Santa Rosa and that her heart was in the right place.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
Why doesnt the US govt have emergency teams in place with large tents that can be sent to areas in need. It seems to me, every time there is a disaster they have thousands with no place to go. Considering the earthquakes and fires in the west, tornados in the plains, hurricanes in the south, ect, why is the govt not prepaired with disaster relief ready to deploy on a moments notice. Considering the size of the armed forces, you would think having  a bunch of teams ready to go would not be that hard. With the weather changes and severity of storms these days, I dont think they would be sitting around long waiting for the next disaster.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
The problem is bigger than shelter. Toilets, clean water, food, refrigeration for medication, the medication itself - all those are needed in a time of natural disaster. California just has it worst for shelter because they did  to have enough housing even before the fires. Tents themselves are the easy part.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

Hosted by Over The Network