Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: The Rialta and NADA  (Read 214 times)

nine7oone

The Rialta and NADA
« on: October 15, 2017, 06:49:09 PM »
I've been shopping for my first RV for a few months. Actually, it would be more accurate to say I've been investigating and educating myself about RVs before committing to buying one. One thing I know for sure though is that I don't want a nearly forty-foot Class A RV. I know other folks have no problem with them, but  I would be so stressed out driving one I'd need a vacation from my vacation.

Since my knowledge of RVs was nonexistent when I started, I decided to check any RV that interested me with the NADA price guide. It was actually very helpful and enlightening. I found that the NADA price and the asking price were usually in the same ballpark. If anything, a lot of the asking prices were lower than the NADA price.

Then today I ran into an anomaly. I saw a picture of a very attractive, smaller RV and decided to investigate further. The RV was the Winnebago Rialta, and when I did my NADA check I found that the asking price for nearly every Rialta was nearly $10,000 (and often times a lot more)  than the NADA price.

I'm just curious if anyone knows why this is the case because it makes it hard to consider buying one. Thanks, David

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: The Rialta and NADA
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:34:34 PM »
Probably just a cult-like thing. Some models attract a following and the market prices reflect the demand.  Unlike the car NADA, the online NAGA Guide is just an estimated depreciation and does not take market demand into account. There is no system of wholesale auctions or price reporting with RVs, so there is no good data about actual prices. However, most Rvs tend to stay within range of the depreciation formula, at least for the first 12-15 years. Eventually, condition dominates age-based depreciation.

Old Airstreams tend to go well above estimated depreciation. So do Winnie Elandons and GMC motohomes. Even the Toyota mini-motorhomes have a following.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:36:06 PM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:19:28 PM »
Partly the cult thing. But very often owners over-value their used RV due to emotional attachment and/or what they still owe on their loan.
Paul ... (KE5LXU), was fulltimin', now parttimin'...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40e
'05 Honda Odyssey toad
Escapees, FMCA, SMART, WIT
http://www.pjrider.com

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 07:46:11 AM »
It is certainly true that asking prices on the private market are often out of line with reality.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:32:16 PM »
The Rialta is on a VW chassis and you could have a huge issue finding a VW dealer to work on the chassis bits and pieces. They seem to be very popular but they have some serious shortcomings.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Hosted by Over The Network