Toad tires 2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

How many miles do you get pulling your Wrangler?  We have driven our Jeep about 17,000 and have pulled it another 10,000.  While the tires still have tread, they are wearing poorly and have become so loud I'm thinking it's time to replace.  If we do, I'll likely go with an All-terrain type rather than the knobby Rubicon tires that were standard equipment on our Wyllis. 

One tire dealer told me the tires wear poorly because the Jeep bounces down the highway when we're pulling it.  If that's part of the problem, is it something that can be resolved by a different hitch set up.  The tow bar is not perfectly level but well within spec.  The tires on our other toad were cupping badly after two years and maybe 30,000 miles combined. 

What tire and tread?  Agressive tires, even snow tires, are soft rubber especially in a P series.  A high end LT should wear much better, but rougher ride.

I don't have enough mileage to give you an answer on my JKU.

They're Mud Terrain TA.  Also says Mud Snow.  I believe the size begins with an LT so they could be the higher end tires.  Rougher ride is putting it mildly.  It sounds like I'm riding on flat tires. 

if you still need something for off-road lots of folks in our 4WD club are recommending the BFG K02.

I burned through 2 sets of those quick Gary. Great off road tires, but don't hold up being towed. When they started wearing they were so loud you could barley hear the radio, and it felt like I was driving on cobblestone streets.  And I was rotating them every 3000 miles and they still wore unevenly.

I went with Cooper Discoverer A/T and they have been wonderful. Good off road performance, run quietly, long wearing, I got over 50,000 miles on the last set, and are tough enough to be "aired down" to go trail running. And they are priced well. 

Getting your tow bar level as possible helps too. Sometimes just a 1 or 2" drop receiver provides the necessary adjustment. 

Sarge, you're description is perfect.  It's like running on cobblestone streets and getting louder by the mile.  Thanks for the recommendations.  Unfortunately, drop bumpers don't work well on gassers.  I already bottom out from time to time.  IIRC, we have the same bumper and it has two attachment points.  Next time we're ready to roll, I'll take a look. 

Taoshum, we're not really into off-roading, yet, but who knows.  Two or three times in deep sand and it was nice to be able to keep moving. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom