Another Microwave/Convection Oven Combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppet

OK, yet another oven question.

From what I've read on here, it appears that for a large majority of people, it appears that they are able to do without the gas oven and make do with the microwave / convection oven combo.  So my question is what, if anything, are you unable to make in the convection oven???  Obviously I'm not looking to make whole hams, 24 lb turkeys or a whole pig.  But are they any foods that you can't make???  Can you make roasts???  Can you bake cookies, etc????

Most anything you can fit in it you can cook. Hear is a link to some ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cooking+in+rv+convection+oven
Bill

I've baked cookies in mine.
I've put a pizza pan in it and it fits but have done one yet.
It seems to be a little hotter then what the gauge says - maybe 25? high - or in other words I could set it 25? cooler then
something calls for.

ppet said:
OK, yet another oven question.

From what I've read on here, it appears that for a large majority of people, it appears that they are able to do without the gas oven and make do with the microwave / convection oven combo.  So my question is what, if anything, are you unable to make in the convection oven???  Obviously I'm not looking to make whole hams, 24 lb turkeys or a whole pig.  But are they any foods that you can't make???  Can you make roasts???  Can you bake cookies, etc????

I don't know about "can't" but we've done biscuits, pineapple upside down cake, several different kinds of casseroles and more. The only "can't" I can think of is something that is too big to fit in the oven, or when running strictly on battery power. Otherwise, generator or shore power leaves us able to cook most anything.

It DID take DW time to get used to the oven (something new), but once she started really using it she's done all kinds of stuff.

Note that it was difficult for us to get good results with the propane oven, since it heated too unevenly, even with a paving stone or pizza stone in the bottom -- stuff often burned a bit, with some part undercooked. Conversely, Ardra swears by both the propane AND the convection ovens.

My wife does most of the real cooking in the family, I am more of a cook things from the frozen food section of the store type.  Having said that I have only found one frozen food item that has not came out ok from my Sharp microwave / convection oven, though some take a little trail and error adjustment since the convection cooking times are often shorter than the conventional oven times listed on the package.  In case you are wondering, the item is Hebrew National Beef Franks in a Blanket, regardless of what I have tried they end up burned to a crisp on  the bottom, and yet the dough is not fully cooked on the inside.

We've cooked/baked/roasted everything imaginable in our GE Profile convection/micros. It doesn't broil, but our RV gas ovens were useless at that as well. And the RV gas oven is actually smaller than the two GE's we had in our coaches.  The gas ovens were also very poor on temperature control and heated unevenly.  We've had three different gas oven brands in our various RVs over the years and it is our opinion that a decent brand of convection oven is far superior to the garbage-quality gas ovens provided in RVs.

I?m in the minority (again!  :-\ ) and use the gas oven almost exclusively. I put a very heavy square pizza stone in it and have since gotten very good results as long as I do a thorough pre-heat. I like to have the option to dry camp and don?t want to run the genset to bake so the gas stove & oven is great for that.

I?m glad to have the micro/convection as a second oven, and have gotten good results from it. One thing, one gets used to using it as a microwave where you can just reach in and grab things after cooking. Don?t do that when using as a convection. Don?t ask how I know this  ::)

Back
Top Bottom