electric fireplace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

Is electric fireplace very costly to operate?  Thinking about using gas furnace to warm up RV in the morning and then using fireplace to maintain temp?  Which would be best?

Cost is determined by the wattage of the fireplace, and the rate charged for electric where you are located.

An electric fireplace is just an electric space heater in a pretty package with a visual. Typically a 1500 watt heater, which is the max allowed on a 15A wall outlet or branch circuit.  If it runs for an hour, it uses 1.5 kilowatt-hours, so it costs 1.5x whatever you pay for electric by the kwh.  Most of them have a thermostat, so the heat part cycles on/off and reduces the power consumption as the place warms up.

Well said by Gary. I use my electric fireplace when I am not paying additional for electricity which is most of the time. My fireplace is located at the very rear of my TT and does OK until it gets real cold outside but I keep the propane set for 65 should the overnight temp inside drop too much. If I were paying for electric I think I would use the propane as it heats hotter and faster and then runs less often.

When I first get up in the morning (chilly night, of course), I turn up the furnace and turn on the electric fireplace set to 70?. They complement each other nicely, and I don't think of precedence -- each has its own use, especially given that the fireplace warms the front of the coach better and the furnace does better on the middle and rear, as well as heating the water bay. Of course this is a consequence of the placement of the fireplace and registers for the furnace.

Any cost difference, you're probably talking pennies and, to me, not worth agonizing over.

clockdrfla said:
Is electric fireplace very costly to operate?  Thinking about using gas furnace to warm up RV in the morning and then using fireplace to maintain temp?  Which would be best?
What Gary said and the Wife loves hers a little portable unit from Walmart about 40 bucks.

We love our fireplace for the warmth of the heater, and the warmth of the look of a fire in the fireplace. 

(even the dog likes it)...

Attachments

• 7C2AC5CF-A265-44DA-A92A-AFD9FE4C0CFB (1).JPG
    7C2AC5CF-A265-44DA-A92A-AFD9FE4C0CFB (1).JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back