Hitch rating on 2017 dodge ram trucks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcoker17

I can not locate the hitch rating on any of the 2017 or 2018 Dodge Ram trucks.  I want to know whether I need to buy a 2500 or 3500 diesel to tow a 5th wheel.

The specs on the 5er are GRVW 15862 lbs and the tongue weight is 2632 lbs.

I know the 2500 can handle the weight of the 5er, but I am uncertain it will handle the tongue weight.  I can not locate the tongue weight (hitch rating) anywhere.

Anyone know the answer?

You are clearly into 1 Ton truck territory.  Figuring the pin weight at 20%, you are at almost 3200 lbs and then add the weight of the 5ver hitch...another 175 to 200 lbs and you are looking at almost 3400 lbs.  And if your pin weight is a little over 20% of the GVWR, obviously more weight than the 3400.  The pin weight that you have posted is most likely the advertised "empty" pin weight, so when you load the trailer up, it will go up significantly.....after all, no one pulls a trailer empty, except to maybe tow it home from the dealer, and some folks who trade in a trailer, move their stuff over to the new one and it's loaded when it leaves the dealer lot.

So, after calulating the pin weight (above numbers) you still have to allow for passengers, luggage, tools, firewood, grill....etc.  ANYTHING and everything that goes on or in the truck counts against your available payload, so once again, you are in 1 Ton territory.  And depending on the truck itself....4x4...Crew Cab....Diesel...trim level of equipment....you may actually be in the Dually 1Ton territory.

I totally agree with xrated.

For the most part there is no such thing as too much truck.
Do yourself a favor and buy the 3500 version - in a diesel version would be best.
Then you can fuel up with the truckers and pull straight through like they do.

Hello folks,

+1. I actually crunched the numbers for the 2017 Dodge HDs and for that kind of weight you need at the very least a 3500HD SRW, and depending on how many passengers, what options you got with the truck and what cargo you'd be getting on its bed besides tongue/hitch, you'd be at the outer limits of the SRW and would be better served by a DRW.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

grashley said:
XRated just saved me a lot of typing.  He is absolutely 100% correct.

Thanks.....and a famous line from Tyrion Lannister, from the show.."Game of Thrones"......

"I drink a lot.....and I know stuff"!

Just kidding on the drink a lot, but I have done way more research than I wanted to, and have experience when it comes to buying too small of a truck for the job at hand.  8)

You need a 3500 RAM.  I used to have one.  In your case, I would recommend a dually. MHO.

here is the link to the chart you were asking about. And I agree with the other posters here you are in 3500 territory.

Best of luck with what ever you choose though.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

The numbervyou are looking for is payload, not hitch rating. For a given truck, it will be on the driver side door post. The advertising charts usually cite the highest possible rating for that basic truck (that is without options).

Ernie

Ernie, while the payload is important, in most cases the hitch rating is substantially lower than the payload rating.  At least with the information I have found so far.  Since my earlier posts, it appears a 3500 at the very least will be needed. Most likely I will have to go the dually route.

thanks for all the advice.

That is true for a trailer, but fiver hitches are nearly always more capable. That's one reason you can pull a larger trailer all else being equal. It's also why even three quarter ton trucks can't often handle a large fiver (loads the hitch to 20 -25% of the fiver gross weight as opposed to 10 - 12% for a trailer).

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom