EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: older motor homes-jamboree, Tioga etc.  (Read 1294 times)

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
Re: older motor homes-jamboree, Tioga etc.
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 05:51:27 PM »
Unless you plan on driving it non stop, the mileage is not a big issue. Lots of mhs only get a few thousand miles a year on them. That is why there is so many 15 year old mhs with 30 or 40k miles on them. If you only have to fill it up four or five times a year, it hardly becomes an issue. As Gary stated, I would be more worried about buying something 35 years old. Unless it spent its life in Arizona and the frame was good, and the rest had been refurbished recently, I would opt for something late 90s and newer. Better motors, slides, and all around better mhs. I had travel trailers for years. They do the job and many are quite nice, but since going to the class A, I could not go back. Having had two 38 ft mhs as well, I would not go smaller either. The more you plan on using it, the bigger it should be. Cheers.

desertguy24

• ---
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »
Great advice...I think Bill on this site is irritable because he owns a Bounder that gets about no miles per gallon.
I would be cranky, too....But he insists that that is how it is...Nope......The Sunrader has the superb engine and goes slowly. i don't mind....I simply must have 15-17 mpg or I will wind-up cranky like Bill....

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 08:20:15 AM »
Hey, my old Sportscoach with the 454 got 5-6mpg.  My Bounder gets 6-8.  I'm not cranky, just the cost of doing business.
I like having my full size queen bed with a topper, the washer/dryer, and room to pass my wife in the hallway without doing the limbo, and I'm willing to accept the mileage it takes to drag all that stuff around.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »
The newer Mercedes Sprinter-van based rigs get around 15-16 mg from their diesels. If mpg is your top priority, there are solutions available. 

But you originally asked about old Tiogoas and Jamborees, and the best of them never saw more than 10 mpg, downhill with a tailwind. Whether using the Ford or Chevy van as the base vehicle.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 10:50:54 AM »
Great advice...I think Bill on this site is irritable because he owns a Bounder that gets about no miles per gallon.
I would be cranky, too....But he insists that that is how it is...Nope......The Sunrader has the superb engine and goes slowly. i don't mind....I simply must have 15-17 mpg or I will wind-up cranky like Bill....
I get cranky when people make absurd statements when talking about mileage. We were talking mileage on larger class C and class A coaches.
By simply doing a quick search I find that you are making up your facts.
"Based on data from 11 vehicles, 378 fuel-ups and 78,316 miles of driving, the 1983 Toyota Pickup gets a combined Avg MPG of 18.96 with a 0.21 MPG margin of error."
This is from http://www.fuelly.com/.
Now trying to convince us you have some kind of miracle rv  that overloaded and has a huge drag coefficient gets as good of mileage as a empty truck isn't working.
You were given some good information, use it or don't, I am going camping, good by.
Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
In accordance with forum rules let’s all address the facts and not personalities folks. Remember, this is the friendliest place on the web and we’re all here for the fun of it  :)
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

billwild

• ---
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »
So desertguy24, there is all the help you can expect. Plan on about 8 mph. in an older class C. If that is no good, then buy a mini van.

A Traveler

• ---
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »
I always get a kick out of people who claim double-digit miles per gallon on a motor home. Listen carefully...it ain't gonna happen!

Yes, you might see 10+ mpg on a short segment of a trip that's downhill with a tailwind, but that's a very unusual situation. With 95,000 miles on our 42' diesel with a 400 hp Cummins ISL, driven as economically as possible, it has averaged 7.4 mpg. That is a REAL WORLD NUMBER that is as accurate as can be.

As another poster in this thread said, if you can't afford 5 to 8 mpg, you're wasting your time.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 07:02:04 PM »
Well, the old Dolphins and Sunraders on the little Toyota mini-truck chassis really did do better than 10 mpg. And the modern day Sprinter based coaches do as well.  So it's not really accurate to say that NO motorhome gets better than 10.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 07:20:40 PM »
I own two Sunraders one is a 1983 with a 22R motor 4-speed 21ft. The other is a 1988 with a 22RE, auto trans, it is 18ft. Runs strong with over 200,000 miles on it. Gets 17 mpg on the highway.
Chuck
(Random web posting)

It may actually get 17 mpg... but it will be at 54 mph on flat land with an egg under your foot.

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
Well, the old Dolphins and Sunraders on the little Toyota mini-truck chassis really did do better than 10 mpg. And the modern day Sprinter based coaches do as well.  So it's not really accurate to say that NO motorhome gets better than 10.
You are right Gary, I spoke to a camper last month when I was in Gettysburg PA. and he was excited to get 11-13 with his vintage Toyota camper. The average for a empty Toyota is only 18. So there is no way I can believe the wild mileage claims. I was excited that when I ran the numbers for the last 4400 miles it was 9.1. Now that's some wild mileage.
Bill

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:57:44 PM by WILDEBILL308 »
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

desertguy24

• ---
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2017, 09:10:43 PM »
My old Toyota Dolphin averaged 12-13 mpg. Slow as heck but putting gas in it was no biggie....

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2017, 01:48:38 AM »
On the other hand, I am full-timing in a larger Class C, and I spent a whopping $218 in propane for all of 2016 to heat my home, cook, and heat water.  And I use about 15 gallons of water each day, not counting the load or two of laundry I do once a week at a laundromat.

So, how much do you spend each year on heating your home?  And how much water do you use?  My toilet uses only a cup or two to flush instead of the 1.4 gallons a home toilet uses.  Also, the average person uses 80-100 gallons of water per day, so I think my home is pretty efficient.  Hauling it around to moderate climates all year may cost in gas, but it sure saves on water and propane. 
Full-timing for over five years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N

Spring Creek

• ---
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2017, 07:16:53 AM »
For us, instead of stressing how much money we spend on fuel (and the RV payment), I've reviewed how much we spend on other things every month that we don't need.  We canceled the newspaper, Netflix, negotiated a better price for our cell phones, and skipped buying a new car and made repairs.

While I do calculate the mileage on every tank (no clue why; just like to know I guess), we have so much fun RV'ing, I couldn't tell you what we spend for fuel  ;D

Buy and go have fun!
Kurt
2018 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31K - 2011 Equinox

Hosted by Over The Network