older motor homes-jamboree, Tioga etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary RV_Wizard said:
Well, the old Dolphins and Sunraders on the little Toyota mini-truck chassis really did do better than 10 mpg. And the modern day Sprinter based coaches do as well.  So it's not really accurate to say that NO motorhome gets better than 10.
You are right Gary, I spoke to a camper last month when I was in Gettysburg PA. and he was excited to get 11-13 with his vintage Toyota camper. The average for a empty Toyota is only 18. So there is no way I can believe the wild mileage claims. I was excited that when I ran the numbers for the last 4400 miles it was 9.1. Now that's some wild mileage.
Bill

My old Toyota Dolphin averaged 12-13 mpg. Slow as heck but putting gas in it was no biggie....

On the other hand, I am full-timing in a larger Class C, and I spent a whopping $218 in propane for all of 2016 to heat my home, cook, and heat water.  And I use about 15 gallons of water each day, not counting the load or two of laundry I do once a week at a laundromat.

So, how much do you spend each year on heating your home?  And how much water do you use?  My toilet uses only a cup or two to flush instead of the 1.4 gallons a home toilet uses.  Also, the average person uses 80-100 gallons of water per day, so I think my home is pretty efficient.  Hauling it around to moderate climates all year may cost in gas, but it sure saves on water and propane. 

For us, instead of stressing how much money we spend on fuel (and the RV payment), I've reviewed how much we spend on other things every month that we don't need.  We canceled the newspaper, Netflix, negotiated a better price for our cell phones, and skipped buying a new car and made repairs.

While I do calculate the mileage on every tank (no clue why; just like to know I guess), we have so much fun RV'ing, I couldn't tell you what we spend for fuel  ;D

Buy and go have fun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom