Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earljuan

Need to buy tires for a Ford f250 Diesel truck to pull a 2006 Sandpiper fifth wheel, 34 foot long..do not know much about tires...what are the specifications for tires to pull that size of fifth wheel? Understand something about ''E", what does this mean?

"E" is the load range, which refers to the weight the tire can carry. Most F250/F350 size trucks will already have Load Range E (LRE) tires.

You don't need bigger tires for towing - the tire size shown on the tire placard on the driver door frame is sufficient. You want LT (light truck) type tires, even if the originals were "P" (passenger) tires.

Please look for the tire info on the door frame and tell us what it says. Then we can explain further if needed.

Replace with OE size.  Brand is really a personal choice and your budget.  Currently Im running Yokahama Geolanders because they fit my budget, and had good reviews.  As a side benefit they are extremely quiet riding.  You can go to tirerack.com and check reviews of a lot of different tire brands.  Also if you have a Discount tire store close by they ofer some good prices.

How long have you had the Geolandars, Donn? I replaced my OEM tires with Mastercraft Courser AXT at about 40,000 miles and just replaced those with Geolandar A/Ts at 70,000 2 days ago. I think the tread pattern will work well in the snow and, like you said, they are super quiet but they don't seem as stiff as the Mastercrafts. Maybe it's just because the shop used 50 psi since my towing season is over. I think my sticker calls for 55 psi so I might air them up a bit to see if it makes a difference.

We dont use the truck a lot.  I put them on last year, maybe 10,000 miles.  So fsr they still look new.

Back
Top Bottom