Chassis Number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi I own a 1994 Rockwood Embassy, I am having trouble finding the Chassis number on the chassis itself, could anyone tell me where it is located please. The rv is on a spartan chassis.
Thank you in advance.

Suggest you call Spartan and ask them where they stamped it on a 1994 chassis.  https://www.spartanchassis.com/info/contact/contact.asp

There should be a VIN Id plate mounted so that it is visible through the windshield near the driver. Is that gone?

Hi thank you

I will call Spartan thanks I have emailed them earlier. the plate is still in the cab but the mechanic says the inspection people want to see it on the chassis.

Thanks again

I got this reply from Spartan

The last 5 digits of the chassis VIN will be stamped on the frame above each of the wheel whells on the outside of the frame rail. If you need additional assistance, please let us know.

In case anyone needs the info

pppropertypaul said:
Hi thank you

I will call Spartan thanks I have emailed them earlier. the plate is still in the cab but the mechanic says the inspection people want to see it on the chassis.

Thanks again
Not sure what "inspection people" is/are.  The final VIN number for an RV is supplied by the manufacturer of the RV.  The chassis shipped from Ford, GM etc, has an "incomplete vehicle" VIN number.  Whatever VIN # and wherever the RV manufacturer put the VIN tag should be good enough for anyone.

AStravelers said:
Not sure what "inspection people" is/are. 

In states like Delaware, one drives through a state owned inspection station. In other states like Maryland and West Virginia, vehicle inspections are done a privately owned shop that has been certified by the state to do inspections. I know that Maryland thoroughly checks the vehicle from top to bottom. They pull the wheels and drums to check brakes etc. They even go as far to make sure the climate controls work correctly. They will check serial numbers where possible on everything on the vehicle.

kdbgoat said:
In states like Delaware, one drives through a state owned inspection station. In other states like Maryland and West Virginia, vehicle inspections are done a privately owned shop that has been certified by the state to do inspections. I know that Maryland thoroughly checks the vehicle from top to bottom. They pull the wheels and drums to check brakes etc. They even go as far to make sure the climate controls work correctly. They will check serial numbers where possible on everything on the vehicle.
They really pull the wheels and check brakes on all private vehicles?  I have heard of commercial vehicles having that done.  That is a lot of labor to put into an inspection to pull the wheels.  Must be very, very expensive for the RV owner. 

But back to the VIN number, there is only one VIN number for RV's and that is what the RV mfg puts on.  Yes there may be some chassis VIN numbers, or chassis serial numbers, but the valid VIN is the one the RV mfg puts on. 

I'd love it if a state inspection agency pulled the wheels off of my vehicle.  They are now liable if anything happens.

Any attorney would love to get in on that deep-pocket law suit.

:p

Here in NH we have to have our vehicles inspected every year. It's done at most of the services stations throughout the state. They check brakes, tires, wipers, horn, all lights, directional, steering linkages for wear, rust, exhaust for leaks, cracks in windshield and emissions. Cost about $40.00.
After seeing what cars look like in FL where there's no inspection it's scary. I think all states should do this.

AStravelers said:
They really pull the wheels and check brakes on all private vehicles?
Must be very, very expensive for the RV owner.   

Yes, they pull wheels on private vehicles. In Maryland, the inspection is only done once at the transfer of the vehicle. It's good as long as the registration/title remains with the current owner. The only other time Maryland reinspects is when a LEO issues a ticket of equipment violation, such as broken glass, tires sticking out past the fenders, loud exhaust, etc.
Actually, it's not expensive. They charge a flat fee as determined by the state, at least in Maryland anyway.

Here's a good site to explain Maryland's vehicle inspection:

https://www.youcanic.com/maryland-car-inspection-md-safety

A list of what is checked at bottom of page:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/58000ASE/58000-01T.htm

Rene T said:
After seeing what cars look like in FL where there's no inspection it's scary. I think all states should do this.

And there are no car safety inspections at all in the Great State of California either...

I believe our state legislators would view "Safety Inspections" as an unfair to our lower income residents. 

kdbgoat said:
Yes, they pull wheels on private vehicles.

So when they pull the brake drums off to inspect the brake shoes....they reinstall the wheel bearings and correctly set the bearing lash ?

I hope you get new cotter pins with that inspection ?

TonyDtorch said:
So when they pull the brake drums off to inspect the brake shoes....they reinstall the wheel bearings,  and correctly set the bearing lash ?

I hope you get new cotter pins with that inspection ?

Yup. In NH, they'll pull one front and the opposite rear usually. They use to mark on the backside of your registration slip as to which wheels they inspected. Not sure if they still record that.

I would love it if a wheel fell off on the way home.....I'd just lay there until my attorney tells me it's okay to get up.  8)

TonyDtorch said:
I would love it if a wheel fell off on the way home.....I'd just lay there until my attorney tells me it's okay to get up.  8)

In my 60 years of being around cars and living in NH, I've never heard of that happening.

After many years of required yearly inspections,, Utah has discontinued the practice.. Too many complaints about gouging by the inspection stations.>>>Dan

Rene T said:
In my 60 years of being around cars and living in NH, I've never heard of that happening.

you have never seen a vehicle loose a wheel on the highway ?? 

It happens.  and usually the last person that worked on the wheel is responsible.

TonyDtorch said:

Never heard of it happening around here either. It's not rocket science doing front wheel bearings. Back in my day, that was one of the first things an apprentice mechanic learned.

TonyDtorch said:
you have never seen a vehicle loose a wheel on the highway ?? 

It happens.  and usually the last person that worked on the wheel is responsible.

I was in a car one time and the lug nuts backed off on one wheel. No indication at all as far as vibration. This was a car registered in NY.

You're building a mountain out of a mold hill. It's no big deal and it keeps me and all the other motorists on the road much safer.
Can you imagine what it would be like if elevators or airplanes were never inspected.  This is no different IMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom