Chassis Number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Florida also discontinued mechanical inspections quite a few years back. No evidence at all that it ever prevented accidents or saved lives.  Emissions inspections were continued for awhile in the big metro areas that had smog problems, but  cleaner running vehicles made that superfluous as well.

I copied the following excerpt from this site:
https://www.autocare.org/BlogDetail.aspx?id=1511&blogid=251&gmssopc=1

Until recently, safety inspection programs have been pretty difficult to defend. There just was not enough data to demonstrate that they had a measurable safety benefit. However, in 2011, the Department of Transportation for the state of Pennsylvania completed a report that showed very clearly the importance of safety inspection to saving lives on the nation?s highways. The report, which was undertaken by Cambridge Systematics, Inc., concluded that Pennsylvania?s, as well as other vehicle safety inspection programs, are effective ways to reduce fatal crashes and save lives. Specifically the report stated that:

Nationally, vehicle safety inspection programs appear to be a significant factor in lowering fatal crashes;
Based on the model results, Pennsylvania can be expected to have between 115 and 169 fewer fatal crashes each year, corresponding to between 127 and 187 fewer fatalities each year than it would have if it did not have a vehicle safety inspection program; and,
The largest difference in reported vehicle failures at the scene of fatal crashes between states with programs and states without programs is for vehicles of three years of age or more

kdbgoat said:
Yes, they pull wheels on private vehicles. In Maryland, the inspection is only done once at the transfer of the vehicle. It's good as long as the registration/title remains with the current owner. The only other time Maryland reinspects is when a LEO issues a ticket of equipment violation, such as broken glass, tires sticking out past the fenders, loud exhaust, etc.
Actually, it's not expensive. They charge a flat fee as determined by the state, at least in Maryland anyway.
kdbgoat said:
Here's a good site to explain Maryland's vehicle inspection:

https://www.youcanic.com/maryland-car-inspection-md-safety

A list of what is checked at bottom of page:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/58000ASE/58000-01T.htm
Interesting inspection process in Maryland.  As mentioned in the first link in the 2nd quote above, the process leaves a really large amount of interpretation of just what must be repaired.  Brakes and shocks come to mind and then there is the suspension.  These are some of the main rip off items repairs shops, especially car dealer, tell the consumers they need, when it is really not necessary. 

The repair shop has a large incentive to find things to repair.  Just the labor time to pull the wheels and inspect everything else is pretty significant.  Even the website mentions 1 1/2 hours for the inspection.  Another mention in the link is the cost to the auto owner is around $80-$100.  Labor at $125 an hour for 1.5 hours is about $180 and they only get $100 or less.  More incentive to find things wrong.

Pulling the wheels on a 20,000 to 40,000 pounds of RV is even more time consuming. 

Back when brakes only lasted 25,000-30,000 miles inspections were more important.  Exhaust systems, mufflers, used to only last 20,000 to 30,000 miles.  Now days front brakes last about 100,000 and rear brakes close to 150,000, mufflers last 100,000 to 150,000 miles.  When I sold my 2002 Chevy Blazer at 160,000 miles it had the original muffler and exhaust.

kdbgoat said:
Never heard of it happening around here either. It's not rocket science doing front wheel bearings. Back in my day, that was one of the first things an apprentice mechanic learned.

I can only imagine the skill level and diligence required to be a state vehicle inspector.  It sounds kinda like an entry level position to me.

Many of the working ASC mechanics at the larger repair shops are not good mechanics.  Most just rely on a computer to tell them what part to change.

Who's going to be responsible when that used wheel bearing seal they put back on starts leaking all over the brake shoes ?

Back
Top Bottom