Camping World Claim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill N

If any of you are baseball fans you will know that the league championships underway are being sponsored by Camping World (signs plastered on nearly every inch of the fences).  But I think they may be unfamiliar with the truth - or at least showing the ability to stretch it - when they announce that Camping World is the #1 Retailer of RVs SINCE 1966.  Do a little wikipedia search and you will see that is when the company was formed in a small store in Kentucky (IIRC).  I bought my first travel trailer in 1965 and joined Good Sam as a charter member in 1966 but it was many years before I ever heard of Camping World.  But who is to dispute some of the claims of Marcus Lemonis? Afterall business is business and shading the truth is part of it I guess.

According to their Timeline, the first actual CW store was in 1973, but the retail store business began with a small RV parts & accessory store and campground in 1966.

http://www.campingworld.com/blog/post/celebrating-50-years-the-50-year-history-of-camping-world-and-good-sam/

SeilerBird said:
So they lied. It is the new normal in this country. :p

You mean we now have Fake Advertising?....lol  I think that has been around since the first ad was published.

Of course, the claim that they have been the largest RV seller since 1966 is patently false, but, and this is a big but, they have been in business since 1966 and they are the largest seller of RVs in the country. It's all in the way you say it.

SeilerBird said:
So they lied. It is the new normal in this country. :p

More like they Exagarated. or perhaps "Used alternate facts" as someone is fond of saying.

The company started in 1966 and is TODAY the largest retailer of RV's.. 

But then remember.. Ad Claims are often inflated, in fact Murphy's laws say to discount all ad claims by at least half, and salesmen's claims by another half (3/4 total)... Or so says the book.

Murphy by the way.. Was a woman, no matter what the book says.. She made Chowder.  Overall chowder.

John From Detroit said:
Murphy by the way.. Was a woman, no matter what the book says.. She made Chowder.  Overall chowder.

http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-true.html

SeilerBird said:
Rene you missed the joke:

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/m/mrsmurphyschowder.shtml

So did I, Tom, until I went to your link. It says traditional children's song, but (maybe I'm too old) I've never encountered it before this. Besides, Murphy was an optimist, not a cook...  8) :eek: ::) ;D

I had a good friend, now deceased, who used to work at Affinity corporate offices. That is the company that owns Good Sam, Camping World, etc. He stated to me several times, that to whole object, that was always stressed was the "bottom line" before any other consideration.

Oh Lord ......  I AM old enough to get the joke AND remember the song  Was not a children's song at the time. Just a nonsense song to lighten the mood.  JM2?  YMMV

maddog348 said:
Oh Lord ......  I AM old enough to get the joke AND remember the song  Was not a children's song at the time. Just a nonsense song to lighten the mood.  JM2?  YMMV
Chet18013 said:
I had a good friend, now deceased, who used to work at Affinity corporate offices. That is the company that owns Good Sam, Camping World, etc. He stated to me several times, that to whole object, that was always stressed was the "bottom line" before any other consideration.

Affinity Group was renamed to Good Sam Enterprises in 2011..

maddog348 said:

I always thought the song to be an Irish drinking song.

I used to work for Consolidated Freightways which was founded in 1929 by Leland James. In 1982 they started a subsidiary named Con-Way freight. In 1996 they spun CF out of the holding company as an employee owned business. Cf went bankrupt and out of business in 2002, so Con-Way stated on their website that they were founded in 1929 by Leland James.

A local bank here was started in 1970 when Illinois was a "unit' banking state, meaning that banks could not have more than one location, and could not be a subsidiary of another bank or holding company. The law also meant that there could never be dual directors or officers. The local bank was started by owners of another bank in a neighboring city, secretly (the ownership was someone else on paper, etc.). When all of those laws were repealed in the late 80's, early 90's, the two banks eventually merged in to one with the same name. They merged with the name of the newer bank. Now their website says they have been in operation since 1906.

Two classic examples of outright lies by business in the name of "there is no teeth in the FTC anymore, so we will do whatever we want" syndrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom