Camping World Claim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rene T said:
That will be the day I call him a patriot.  Look it up in the dictionary. A patriot is someone who fights, defends and if need be, lays down there life for his/her country. I have a word for people like him but I won't say it in this forum. You're not a patriot using his First Amendment Right. You are an America.

According to the dictionary (and I consulted several) a patriot is:

a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

a person who regards himself or herself as a defender, especially of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.

Oldgator73 said:
According to the dictionary (and I consulted several) a patriot is:

a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

a person who regards himself or herself as a defender, especially of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.

That second one is a bit suspect, I think.

LarsMac said:
That second one is a bit suspect, I think.
[/quote

There are many that believe the 2nd Amendment was added just for this reason. I believe the First Amendment was inserted to defend our rights against interference by the federal government. Our right to peacefully protest is part of the First Amendment. We have the right to speak out against our government if we believe our rights are being abridged.

Rene T said:
That will be the day I call him a patriot.  Look it up in the dictionary. A patriot is someone who fights, defends and if need be, lays down there life for his/her country. I have a word for people like him but I won't say it in this forum. You're not a patriot using his First Amendment Right. You are an America.

There is also this definition.

noun

Kind of sounds right to me.
RichH

aguablanco said:
There is also this definition.

noun

Kind of sounds right to me.

These are the same definitions I found. Just because someone is acting in way you (not you but you in general) would or want others to, does not make them unpatriotic.
RichH

According to this....https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301 

a Patriotic American should stand for the playing of our national anthem.

TonyDtorch said:

Exactly.  :)) :)) :))  Along with 64% of Americans.

I bet none of the people complaining about other people not standing for the National Anthem actually stand for the Anthem when it is played on TV.

Paul & Ann said:
But that doesnt mean if you dont stand you are not patriot.

I started to write a reply but decided against it. It wouldn't make any of the non believers, believers so there's no point.

TonyDtorch said:

Did you know that until 2009 no NFL player stood for the National Anthem. All the teams stayed in the locker room until the pre game festivities were over. It was only when the DoD starting paying teams to stage on field "patriotic" ceremonies that teams lined up and stood for the Anthem. Many millions of dollars.
It's ironic that folks get so wrapped up in a mere symbol like the flag or a song. So much so that if someone doesn't do what they want them to, they call for those folks to lose their job. Because they think they are being unpatriotic. When in fact, by the mere act of taking a knee, an act that is a right outlined in the Constitution, a document that folks have actually lost their lives defending unlike a flag or a song, is unpatriotic. The act of protest is one of the most patriotic acts an American can take.

TonyDtorch said:

Rene T said:
I started to write a reply but decided against it. It wouldn't make any of the non believers, believers so there's no point.

Look up the definition of should, may and will.

IMO...That's the same bull crap as Bill Clinton's definition of what 'is' is. 

TonyDtorch said:
IMO...That's the same bull crap as Bill Clinton's definition of what 'is' is.  ...

You are entitled to your opinion. We all know what an opinion is; they are like ________, everybody has one and most stink.

Oldgator73 said:
You are entitled to your opinion. We all know what an opinion is; they are like ________, everybody has one and most stink.

No,    Everyone else's stink.  No one ever thinks their own stinks.    ;D

TonyDtorch said:
No,    Everyone else's stink.  No one ever thinks their own stinks.    ;D

I don't know about that Tony. My wife will tell you I have some pretty foul opinions. Just not this one.

SeilerBird said:
I bet none of the people complaining about other people not standing for the National Anthem actually stand for the Anthem when it is played on TV.

I was surprised at my wifes Uncle's full 21 gun Military funeral when the Navy Commander presiding asked everyone to please stand,  and any active or prior military to please salute as the Navy Honor Guard played Taps.  ( a moving experience in person)

Being a patriotic American,  I was honored to both stand, and salute.

As I was the only one that saluted... the Commander came over to me after the ceremony as asked if I too was Navy.  When I replied "No Sir,  Army",    he jokingly said  "Well..Army is okay too"  and shook my hand.  ( it's a military thing )

So I thanked him for the fine ceremony and rifle salute,  and said I was a bit surprised...  I didn't even know the Navy had rifles.    8)

thankfully,  The Commander laughed    ...                     

Paul & Ann said:
I agree.  It is my observation that there are two types of people when it comes to money.  Those that see money as a utility for the things that can be done with it, and those that see money  as an end unto itself.  It appears that that they worship money, and therefore money is their god, but as the Bible says in I believe 1Timothy 6-10.  "For the love on money is the root of all evil."
Actually, 1 Timothy 6:10 says, "For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evils." There are lots of kinds of evil, and some of them are not rooted in the love of money, but plenty are. It's a fine point, I grant, but I just like to keep the record straight.

I was vilified for not supporting our government during Viet Nam. You tell me which side was correct now that a few decades have passed. Protest is fundamental to our Republic and should always be so. I believe Great Britain thought the same about our founding fathers as some feel about the NFL players protests, which h have absolutely nothing to do with flags or anthems. Straw men are so easy to defeat, much easier than the actual reasons for a protest.
RichH

There were many very important people like Charles Lindbergh and Henry Ford as well as much of Hollywood that protested our early involvement in WW2 .  they ended up being wrong.

seconding guessing who was right or wrong may depend on if we won, or lost the war.

Thank you Rich,  I do remember being heckled in uniform during Vietnam,.... I guess I was one of the wrong ones.

Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom