Winnebago Rust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

07greg

I have a 10-year-old Winnebago and we are getting rust, any advice? thinking of using RUST MORT have any of you used this product? Love my coach but looking to save her  :eek:

07greg said:
I have a 10-year-old Winnebago and we are getting rust, any advice? thinking of using RUST MORT have any of you used this product? Love my coach but looking to save her  :eek:

Welcome to the forum. You may be better off starting your own post. People don't like to read through an entire old post just to get to your question. You may get better exposure.
Back to your question, a local auto body repair shop does it and they use Liquid Film. They did my truck 3 years ago and I was looking at it yesterday, and it still looks good. I may get it redone next year. Liquid Film also sells a spray gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-nas1-Gallon/dp/B004NDDCKK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1508330507&sr=8-4&keywords=fluid+film+undercoating

Part of maintenance...periodically inspect for rust, bubbling, scaling paint. Remove rust/bad paint using wire brush, sand paper, etc. use a conversion coating such as Rustoleum for any remaining rust then prime and paint. Rustoleum offers paint with built in rust converter also.
Liquid film is primarily a rust preventive. Use on healthy areas that may rust. Use on repaired areas after thoroughly cured.

BobNSam said:
Part of maintenance...periodically inspect for rust, bubbling, scaling paint. Remove rust/bad paint using wire brush, sand paper, etc. use a conversion coating such as Rustoleum for any remaining rust then prime and paint. Rustoleum offers paint with built in rust converter also.
Liquid film is primarily a rust preventive. Use on healthy areas that may rust. Use on repaired areas after thoroughly cured.

MY truck was done with Liquid Film when it was 3 years old and rusting on the surfaces had already started due to the heavy use of salt here in NH. After applying Liquid Film, there is NO evidence of any rust. It has stopped it entirely.

I used the cousin to Rust Mort, Rust Seal on my former coach...a 2002 Winnebago Journey.  The difference between Rust Seal and Rust Mort is Rust Seal does not have to be top coated.  A friend who runs an auto body shop and does a lot of classic car restorations recommended Rust Seal.  I did use a top coat and the areas I treated with Rust Seal did not rust after treatment. 

Por 15 is another excellent rust treatment. 

My '07 View has a lot of steel parts rusting on it. Many View owners report this. Apparently its a common problem on WBO products and they don't care. Its poor metal prep before painting, the rust forms and lifts off the paint. Mine had rust on all the brackets and metal pieces related to the lower storage compartment doors. The oval reinforcing plates on the inside of the Southco latches were worst, some with holes ate thru them when I glass bead blasted them clean. Brackets epoxied to the roof to hold decorative fairings, were rusted to pieces. I removed the fairings permanently, and the brackets and sanded off the epoxy. I have been steadily working my way around the coach removing parts and blasting them and rattle can priming and painting them with Rustoleum Professional. It won't rust again like it did before, as the paint will stick well to the clean bare blasted metal. A few parts look perfect, I think they came from a vendor, or a different vendor and were properly prepped before painting.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis (T1N). Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Coleman Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Koni Red shocks (front & rear), Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror, MB grill conversion.

Thank You for all the information, very helpful. Now I am having issues with both TV'S not working always some issue  :))

Well there is one way to stop rust problems for a bit.  Blow a transmission over a period of several miles.  The entire undercarriage is coated with tranny oil and even the tire guys putting on a new set were commenting how much tranny oil is still coating the bottom of the coach and everything behind the tranny.  PS:  The tranny blew in 2015 - so it seems to be a long lasting fix..............lol

Bill

Bill N said:
Well there is one way to stop rust problems for a bit.  Blow a transmission over a period of several miles.  The entire undercarriage is coated with tranny oil and even the tire guys putting on a new set were commenting how much tranny oil is still coating the bottom of the coach and everything behind the tranny.  PS:  The tranny blew in 2015 - so it seems to be a long lasting fix..............lol

Bill
I used to wash my hands with transmission fluid before using soap at the shop.  Wonderful stuff! :)

Mile High said:
I used to wash my hands with transmission fluid before using soap at the shop.  Wonderful stuff! :)

30 year auto mechanic.  I worked at a couple of shops that didn't use Safty Clean for their parts washers.  At those places when they'd clean the parts washer first thing I would do was dump a half-quart of tranny fluid in the clean fluid.  Wasn't so hard on the hands after that.

We did apply Fluid Film and praying it will work, very sad we have to deal with any rust  :( I want to thank everyone for responding, We will keep you posted,  plan on doing this every year if it works well

I have an O9 view that spent most of its life in Arizona a couple of years in Minnesota..all of the Winnebago steel is rusty, the mercedes is not, its fine,  especially the driver side where it gets more exposure the brackets holding the panels are missing so i have had to fab new ones out of aluminum, im replacing everything with aluminum when i can with stainless hardware and if the panels themselves rust through my rustoleum inhibitor ill redo them in stainless if i have this rig long enough, suprising no corrosion on any aluminum parts, which ive seen on some of the aluminum cars i have owned in the past
I cant believe how poor a job they do with priming all the paint falls off i sand wire brush prep and reglue with 5200 adhesive sealer..and spray fluid film in places where i cant get to like the wheel wells tight spaces....i wish i would have paid for a private PPI when i bought this, they would have found all of the damage, instead i paid the dealer, which in hindsight was the worst thing..beware of Freedom RV in Tucson..dont ever buy anything from them unless you have a PPI independent....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom