Route suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triple E

We are planning to leave for Arizona on November 2 or 3, 2017. This is our first trip to Arizona. We are unsure of the best, flattest route. We are travelling in a 29 foot motor home towing our car on a tow dolly.  We are Canadian and are leaving from the Sarnia (bluewater bridge) .  Any suggestions or helpful tips would be very much appreciated. We also are not in a rush we would likley take anywhere up to 5 days depending on weather.
Thank you all.

You are located on the east side of the Rockies. Arizona is on the west side of the Rockies. The Rockies are a very tall mountain range and there is no way to get there without driving over the Rockies. It is a 2000 mile trip. Five days means 400 miles a day which is really pushing it in an RV especially towing over the Rockies. I think heading south and picking up I-40 would be the flattest route, but it won't be flat at all.

From Sarnia area and if your in no hurry Route 66.  The mother road will get you where you want to go following American history.

I believe the flattest route, not the shortest, would be to follow I-69 south to Indy, I-70 west to I-57 in Effingham, Il. then south on I-57 to I-55, I-55 south to I-40, I-40 west to I-30, I-30 west to I-20, I-20 west to I-10 at El Paso, and I-10 west into Arizona. Per wiki, I-40 peaks at about 7250' over the continental divide, where I-10 peaks at slightly over 5100' in eastern Ariz. That route however would cost you nearly 200 miles of travel.

The "flattest" route would be entering Arizona on I-10 from Texas. Depending on where in Arizona you are heading the I-10 route would be about 200 miles longer than I-40.

I would take I-69 to Indianapolis, then I-70 to St. Louis, then I44 to Oklahoma City, then I-35 south to I-20 (Dallas). I 20 ends at I-10 to Arizona.
At St Louis take I-270 north around the city
Dallas area take I-35W to I-820, I-30 to I-20 to avoid Ft Worth
This route avoids the Chicago area - which is GOOD.

Hi Triple E and all,

The route I tend to use if I go to Arizona is, I465 around Indianapolis, IN on to Saint Louis, to Oklahoma to I40 west on to New Mexico. Mileage from where I live is 1900 miles from northern Indiana. You can save some mileage (and super steep mountains to Albuquerque) by finding SR 41 in New Mexico which connects to SR 60 to I25 south. This is motorhome/RV friendly. A couple of small towns that I would obey the speed limit signs.

There are a  number of somewhat steep mountain passes in Missouri but about as good as it gets. You can shave off a few more miles by taking SR 26 through Hatch, NM to I10 on towards Benson and Tucson (assuming you want to be in the southern half of AZ). A lot of nice driving and scenery.

Triple E said:
We are planning to leave for Arizona on November 2 or 3, 2017. This is our first trip to Arizona. We are unsure of the best, flattest route. We are travelling in a 29 foot motor home towing our car on a tow dolly.  We are Canadian and are leaving from the Sarnia (bluewater bridge) .  Any suggestions or helpful tips would be very much appreciated. We also are not in a rush we would likley take anywhere up to 5 days depending on weather.
Thank you all.
I would have made it easier on us if you told us where Sarnia is, and where you are going in Arizona. 

As others said, entering AZ on I-10 is the flattest route. But there is nothing particularly steep on I-40 in NM or west of Flagstaff.

I apologize Sarnia is Ontario if you dont know were Ontario is it is in Canada. Destination for Arizona would be Yuma then moving on from there. Thank you all for your suggestions it is very much appreciated.

I agree with those recommending heading west on I 10, we went west mid November via I 40 and ran into a major snow storm just as we crossed into NM.  Elevation adds to the potential of bad weather. Once on I 10 you should not encounter any real adverse weather.

Ed

AStravelers said:
I would have made it easier on us if you told us where Sarnia is, and where you are going in Arizona. 

As others said, entering AZ on I-10 is the flattest route. But there is nothing particularly steep on I-40 in NM or west of Flagstaff.
Sarnia Ontario is across the river and north and a bit east of Detroit. The op has a long haul across the great plains, I am not sure I would want to try that in November.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom