Canyonlands and arches trip with our dog. NP not the best...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

We are planning spring trip on way back we want to visit Canyonlands, Arches NP and spots around... really dislike staying in parks, can't take dog any where... suggestions for out of park with or without hook ups, for our 27 foot travel trailer.. not really Rv resort people.

Looked at arches beautiful campground, but looks like we would have to drive 18 miles to get out of park for doggie hike.
thanks

There are some BLM campgrounds along highway 128 on the Colorado River east of Moab.  Dry camping and nice sites, but they fill up fast.

Zion NP has a nice long trail call Pa'rus which does allow for dog walking. Also the rim trail on the south rim of the Grand Canyon allows dogs.

In the Moab area I really like the Sand Flats Recreation area just east of Moab. Juniper campground is literally at the end of the road up the mountain some, and our 28.5' tongue to bumper trailer fit just fine. There are also a number of other campgrounds in the valley. The site is very popular for off road aficionados and accepts no reservations so get there early. It is classic BLM campgrounds with limited services. For Capitol Reef there are numerous dispersed and BLM/FS campgrounds along hwy 24. Take a look at AllStays to refine where you want to be.

I don't think you will want to leave your dog in the camper without an electric hookup for the AC. Camper can get pretty hot in the afternoon sun.

wackymac said:
Seilerbird---Ah--yes, the advantages of cats.
In 2010 I did not have any animals and I put a lot of thought into what I was going to get. First place was another African Grey parrot. I had one for 23 years and she had died a few years earlier. Second place was a dog, I had had an Old English Sheepdog for 12 years and he had died about ten years earlier. But logic ruled the day and cats won out because I thought they would make the best fit for living in a motorhome. I still feel I made the right decision. I love birds and dogs, but cats are just a lot less work and worry. They take care of themselves.

BruceinFL said:
I don't think you will want to leave your dog in the camper without an electric hookup for the AC. Camper can get pretty hot in the afternoon sun.
It depends on when the OP goes. If the plans are for this fall, a very nice time of year there, he will be fine. Just cool down the trailer at night when the temperatures drop, close the shades on the sunny side, open the windows on the shady side, and run all the fans you can during the day. However if this is a summer trip, the temperatures in this area can easily get to 100 ide and otter than that inside. Totally different story, and I wouldn't dream of doing it without a hookup and AC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom