New to the forum with a hitch question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sawbob

My wife and I just bought a 2016 Heartland Wilderness 2175 RB with a gross weight of 6900, a dry weight of 4648, and a hitch weight of 490. We pick it up this coming Saturday.
I ordered a Pro Series 49033 1000/10,000# WDH off of Amazon last Sunday, with a delivery date for this coming Friday.
As luck would have it the delivery date has been pushed to Next Monday.
I can borrow my son in laws Husky WDH to go pick up the trailer, but he has the parts that cinch the chains down bolted to his trailer.
My question is. Do I need to have these bolted down to my trailer for the 30 mile trip home, or will they cinch down on the frame enough with the chains?
My TV is a 2914 2500HD Silverado 4x4 longbed single cab with a 6.0 liter motor and 410 gears
TIA, Bob

With that 3/4 ton truck and a sub 500lb (empty) hitch weight, I wouldn't even bother with a WDH for a 30 mile trip.

I have that Husky hitch (in my garage) and the part that bolts on to your son's trailer are what the chains hook on to so you need them (its all one piece). They are easy to remove and install though (its a single bolt).

Thanks, he has them bolted on. Are you saying the cinch bolt on the backside plus the pressure from the chains should be enough. He has the cinch bolts on the back, but also 2 bolts thru each side.
We're having a little bit of wind up here for Saturday. Just want to be as stable as possible.

Sawbob said:
Thanks, he has them bolted on. Are you saying the cinch bolt on the backside plus the pressure from the chains should be enough. He has the cinch bolts on the back, but also 2 bolts thru each side.
We're having a little bit of wind up here for Saturday. Just want to be as stable as possible.

I see what you are asking now. Mine was dealer installed (twice) and they didn't even bother with those 2 bolt holes...it was held in place by the single large bolt.

If you are worried about sway (in the wind), this hitch will do nothing for you (and why I replaced mine). I think it will hurt because it will unweight the front of the TT which is not what you want to do. If it were me, I'd forget messing around with a WDH for one trip and just take it easy (slow down if it is windy).

I don?t know much about WD hitches, but my buddy ordered a new toy hauler and when he went to pick it up, the dealer wouldn?t let him take it without a WDH installed, said it was liability reasons. He probably had more hitch weight than you, but it might be worth a phone call to ask and save yourself some possible aggravation. Congrats on your new camper!!!

Thanks for the replies.
The dealer implied that we needed to have one.
I think I'll just go up a link on the chains and call it good.

Welcome to the forum.  I used to have that same truck.  For your combination and 30 miles trip, I would not be concern about a WD hitch.

For a 500# hitch wt - EMPTY - and only 30 miles with a very capable TV, I would go with a straight hitch and safety chains.

::) By the way,  how do you like that futuristic 2914 truck?  8)  I know, fat fingers.  I have them too.  Just could not resist  :(

Heading up to get the new TT....going to drive in reverse to see if I can get the truck back to a 2014. :-[
I'll let you know how she tows home.

Sawbob said:
Heading up to get the new TT....going to drive in reverse to see if I can get the truck back to a 2014. :-[
I'll let you know how she tows home.

Just get it to 87mph on a clear stretch of road...  ;D

Back
Top Bottom