Generator or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcoker17

I am in the planning stages for buying a large 5er and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on installing an Onan Generator or not.  I do not plan to be off the grid all that often; however, it may happen occasionally.

Is the expense of the generator worth it?  They seem to run in the 5000.00 range which is quite spendy for occasional use.

Opinions?

For occasional use only, a pair of 2000 watt inverter generators will probably serve you nicely, or a 3000 watt inverter generator. The only issue with the 3000 watt is that it weighs close to 100#.

I have a pair of 2200 watt Ryobi generators currently, but planned on selling those with my small trailer.  I suppose I could keep them.  will 3600 continuous watts power a large 5er?  I assume not.

3600 watts is the max an RV with 30 amp service can pull, any many survive on that. Load management is essential, like not trying to run an air conditioner, microwave and a hair dryer at the same time.

I converted a Champion generator to propane and mounting it on the rear bumper of a TT  and didn't like the vibration and noise. I'm sure an Onan that is properly mounted would be quieter and less vibration but it may be an issue. When deciding how to power my FW we knew that we absolutely wanted the ability to run the AC so we bought a remote start Honda 3000 and bolted it to the truck bed in front of the hitch. I have removed it now but at first I had built an insulted and fan ventilated metal box to cover it. We also use the generator to power the microwave. I have a 2000 watt inverter and do run a hair dryer and sometimes the toaster on it.

I wired in a 10 gauge cord from a transfer switch and under the overhang and up to the generator with twist lock plug. I have a long enough cord so that I can even park the truck hood to the pin box and it's quiet enough that we often forget that the genny is running. So your sizing is according to if you  want ac yet people are able to run some  ac units with a 2000 after installing a Microair start kit ($300).  Your next step is if you want a mounted unit or portable. You may get more noise than you like when mounting in the RV and they are often near the bedroom as I understand. If you have a portable you then have to handle it and prevent theft unless secured well.

People also seem to have good luck with 3400 Champion inverter/gen and Harbor freight Predator at much lower cost. If you are unsure of the amount you will use it that may be a way to go.

Regardless of the type of generator you get, the decision probably should be to maximize usage and by that I mean plan for the unexpected and unintended.  For example, you might not think you want to boondock much right now but you might find some friends who like it and you want to join them so you'll end up boondocking more than expected.  Also, you might buy some kind of toy or appliancel that needs more amps than a smaller genset can handle.  My advice is that larger is better.

ArdraF

The decision is yours. but many choose Honda, or Yahama or other brands of INVERTER generators, .these are fairly light weight (This is important cause you pay for every pound every mile) and very fuel efficient as a rule (Like half what a traditional generator sucks or less)  and QUIET compared to other portables (Not so much better when compared to an ONAN however).

Larger ones may even be dual voltage (120/240) and useful as emergency generators at your sticks and bricks (But then I did that with my 120 volt only ONAN on my motor home. I just could only power 120 volt stuff, Thankfully I cooked and heated with Gas, not electricity so the only 240 olt stuff was the Dryer and the central Air).

HONDA Generators can use an external fuel tank as well

thanks for the advice.  Like i previously said, I currently own two Ryobi 2200 watt genny's  I think I will just hold on to them instead of selling them with the TT.

If you really do not use the generators you have very often, but want the capability, you can make sure the new FW has the genny prep on it.  The FW we are getting is used, but has the box to isolate the genny, the auto transfer box and fuel tank already installed, so a genny will be easy to add at a later date if desired.  Keep and use the Ryobi units until they prove inadequate, then upgrade.  In the meantime, save the money, but you have kept the options open.

My old TT didnt have one so i put a genny in the box of the truck, took it out each time we camped, put it back in etc etc pain in the ass to say the least,
My 5er had one built in when we got it, i said ahhh we wont hardly use it etc etc

3 years later we have 100hrs on it and i love it, it allows me to go places and not worry about power if we dont have it ie Walmart parking lots if just staying overnight, or State grounds when the power spots are all taken etc. I love mine and wouldnt think of not having a unit without one.

Get the Benny.  Less hassle, there when you need it and can be emergency back up for sticks and bricks.  Sell the others and you free up storage space. 

GET THE GENERATOR!

My first two trailers did not have generators and we lived our lives around that fact. When traveling, we had to plan our stops around campgrounds so we could plug in for the night. When we boondocked, I took along my contractor type generator to use as a "just in case" but rarely fired it up because of the noise. We spent many cold nights and many hot days in the wilderness because we didn't have power.

My current toy hauler came equipped with an Onan generator and we use it a lot. No longer do we need to look (or pay) for a campground to overnight in. We can drive until we want to pull over, fire up the generator, and watch TV or enjoy the heat or A/C. When we travel to warmer climates during the summer, I fire up the genny and A/C an hour or so outside of our destination and have a nice, cool trailer when we arrive.

Even though the generator is directly under our bed, there are no vibrations to be felt and only the slightest hum to be heard.

Like QZ, I mounted a propane gen (like a Champion) on the back of my 26' TT. 100lbs and about $350.
No noticeable vibration but noticeable noise when sleeping two feet from it! Dosen't bother my wife. I sleep up front. IF you don't like hauling gas, and IF you have gen prep, and IF you don't want the maintenance of a gas gen, a 4000 odd watt Onan propane (for one a/c) can be had used for reasonable prices.  If you have two a/c's like my FW, look for a 5500.

Back
Top Bottom