Is anyone using a VPN?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
If you don't know what a VPN is, you most likely are not using one. With the recent news releases that some hackers have found a deficiency in WPA2, I found it reasonable to add a layer of protection.  Anyone else?

I was using one for a couple of years. I found that some web sites wouldn't load when the VPN was activated. My browser would also slow down at times. But the reason I gave it up was it didn't load automatically like it was supposed to. I may look for another VPN company.

I am using Norton, as they already had my virus protection. I considered dropping it when W-10 came out, but better safe than sorry. And some of the recent hacker attacks just go to show that the threat is still out there.  So far I haven't noticed any degradation in performance since implementing it.

WPA2 with AES encryption and using a "STRONG passphrase" is the best way.  The only way WPA2 has been hacked is by brute force password guessing.  A strong passphrase goes a very long ways in guarding against such an attack.
I'm not wireless network engineer but have 21 years as a wireless network admin in a university environment.  Cracking a strong passphrase is next to impossible.
Most times folks just give away their passwords to spammers in emails and web pages.  Home networks are not a big target.  Big corporations that have a lot to loose are the targets.

phil-t said:
WPA2 with AES encryption and using a "STRONG passphrase" is the best way.  The only way WPA2 has been hacked is by brute force password guessing.  A strong passphrase goes a very long ways in guarding against such an attack.
I'm not wireless network engineer but have 21 years as a wireless network admin in a university environment.  Cracking a strong passphrase is next to impossible.
Most times folks just give away their passwords to spammers in emails and web pages.  Home networks are not a big target.  Big corporations that have a lot to loose are the targets.

You might want to read up on this:
https://www.krackattacks.com/

I agree that the average little guy has little to worry about, most of the time, and some simple defenses will go far to protect most people.
My wifi is not broadcasting and passphrases are pretty strong, and I have set the router to only recognize specific MACs.
It will not authorize just anybody.

I have the corporate VPN for when I am working. Other than that, I've not played much with VPN.

Yup. Seems to me VPN is really more useful if you are planning on accessing your devices within your home network from outside.

Cisco Anyconnect secure mobility client VPN to connect to workplace. It does slow things down while connected but not a big deal breaker.

Using a VPN provider that has a server close to your physical location goes a long way in keeping a fast connection fast.  Of course the quality of their equipment and at what level of capacity they have also determines if your speed will remain close to the same as it was without VPN.  And like anything else, some providers are better, some are worse at providing what they claim.

We used VPN at work to shield access to equipment at mountaintop transmitter sites from unauthorized IP addresses.  I'm not sure what advantage it would provide if you're constantly moving from place to place.

Lou Schneider said:
We used VPN at work to shield access to equipment at mountaintop transmitter sites from unauthorized IP addresses.  I'm not sure what advantage it would provide if you're constantly moving from place to place.

Using a VPN connection always provides a higher level of security, depending on the protocol that the provider uses.....some are better than others.  Also, if you are using internet for streaming programs that differ according to regional location, that can easily be overcome with a VPN connection.  Some sporting channels provide their programming according to geographic location.  You many not be able to watch let's say an Atlanta braves game because of where you live (it's blacked out).  With a VPN connection you can watch the streaming because the VPN does not forward your IP address....it shows up as the I.P. of the VPN location.  Also, any online banking type activity would be well protected as all data is encrypted between your computer and the VPN server.

I've been using PrivateInternetAccess.com's VPN client for about 3 years now.  It is robust and they have portals all over the planet.  Besides the obvious security enhancement I can connect to portals in different countries and access geo-locked web content from anywhere, such as U.S. Netflix from Europe, or the BBC iPlayer from the States, etc.  Not to mention that if you're a bittorrent user, a VPN is more-or-less required.

PIA costs $40 per year.  You can use it on multiple devices simultaneously.  It works on Linux/Windows/OSX, iOS, and Android.  It has a built-in kill switch that disables your network connection is the VPN drops. Like all VPN's, the added overhead of packets-in-packets and encryption will slow throughput somewhat.  You have to decide if that trade-off is worth it.

Cheers,

Dan K.

My current phone is VPN locked by a product I trust. my computers are not.. However they have an alternate form of "protection" as it were.

The windows box under this Chromebook is hard wired to the house router. I use it mostly for logging (no network needed) printing (USB printer) and control of my Televiosion DVR's via the server in teh bedroom (NO INTERNET just Local net) I do occasionally download a file (all data) From a TRUSTED site.

The other Win-laptop is not current net connected, like the one here it's a control and logging box, but for other stuff (The "Big" radio (Kenwood TS-2000 ham rig).

The two Chromebooks I use on the web have a different form of protection.

Local files, mostly collected recipies. are few and copied off with regular frequency to the Win Box here in the "Computer" are (it is also the kitchen computer but again,,,,, local use, no network needed) via "Sneaker Net" (USB thum drive)

Last week I had dinner in Seneca and due to a mix up on my part hooked to the City's Free Visitor Wi-Fi.  The phone, no problem (See VPN) the Chrome book. went into a "Frequent restart" mode. seems the malware was not chrome compatable and kept re-starting the machine.. When I got home and had more time (And a non-infected Chromebook to use for reference) I found the command in the menu and POWER WASHED IT.

Then I had a bit of trouble connection to my Wi-Fi Hot spot (Works better when you pick the right one don't you know) firgured that out picked the right one and connected,  Entered my Google account log in and in just a few minutes was on line.

Dut to limited bandwith it took some time for all the extensions and added apps to update and populate but I was back on line in less time than it takes to brew a cup of coffee in the single cup auto-drip machine..  I really like these chrome books.  Easy to disinfect.

SargeW said:
If you don't know what a VPN is, you most likely are not using one. With the recent news releases that some hackers have found a deficiency in WPA2, I found it reasonable to add a layer of protection.  Anyone else?

Yes.

One thing to always remember is that you can have all the security in the world but when you give info out on the wild, wild web.. yes Facebook included.. it may come back to haunt some to the tune of 50 million people+. Hmmm...terms of service are there for a reason and nothing is really free, especially when one gives it away.

I've definitely thought about it, but don't really know enough about it to tackle it one my own. Anyone have any advice on where to learn more about this type of thing?

Friend of mine is using RA4WVPN and is satisfied. Also I know there is Opera browser with integrated VPN or Tor browser

Back
Top Bottom