Is anyone using a VPN?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have zero concern about this even at my sticks and bricks house which is next to a 4 lane federal highway so way more traffic passing by than most people's houses.

In order for someone to exploit WEP/WPA/WPA2, etc. they must be close enough to intercept your wifi connection, in most real world situations this means within a few hundred feet, though that can be extended some with directional antennas, etc. Ask yourself how many semi-elite hacker types are within shotgun range of your location?    Now ask yourself if any of them would bother targeting you, vs perhaps the insurance agency across the street?

I don't have a reinforced bank vault door on my house either.

p.s. I do sometimes run a VPN do IP tunnelling, etc.  but that is for other reasons (telecommuting)

Irover said:
;D I use the Opera browser with a built in VPN and Duck-Duck-Go with no tracking. No problems in the 1.5 years I've used it!

Yep, same experience here. Works great. There are also many paid services, but I dunno what more do they have to offer (Pritunl, RA4WVPN, NordVPN, Strong VPN...)

Please dont pay for this unnecessary stuff... use free soft. Tor works great for me.

Moderator note; edited for language

Also, anyone using VPN and doing a Zoom meeting w clients does it hold steady ? Dying to go on the road and work just don?t know if it will be successful :) !

I have been using a lot of VPN services. Previously I was working with a corporate VPN however, with multiple uses i have switched to a commercial VPN service. Coming across multiple surfshark VPN user reviews I started using it and with unlimited simultaneous connections it was good move to continue with it. I did not find much drop in speeds I was getting 100Mbps down which reduced to 70 Mbps with surfshark during meeting over zoom.

Nadinenurse said:
Also, anyone using VPN and doing a Zoom meeting w clients does it hold steady ? Dying to go on the road and work just don?t know if it will be successful :) !

I use NordVPN and conduct a lot of Zoom sessions. Never had an issue.

I use Surfshark, it has good speed and data protection, so far it has been enough for me

I have experienced on Express VPN. and i realize that its moderately good. as received better output.
anyone of you can try if you need. 

The current state of Cybersecurity across the globe is even blocking VPN services for no good. Schools are blocking VPN services, Netflix is blocking VPN services and others. Bypassing a VPN is not so difficult but a constant pain in the arse. But yeah some good VPNs like mentioned above ExpressVPN, Surfshark are good ones to use as they are undetectable VPN services.

Sarge,

I use Dashlane Password Manager, It has a built in VPN you can activate during your session.  Sync your Phone, Desktop, Laptops all together.  I like the password generator Creates complex.  It has VPN in the premium version.  I only know one password.  My Dashlane password. 

I think PC MAG had it rated #1 a couple years back.  Who knows they may have bought the endorsement with Ad Dollars spent. 

I love Dashlane, Premium! 

The VPN was not offered when I signed up a few years ago.  It just showed up with a software update.

John

NY_Dutch said:
Another NordVPN user here... It works well on my Linux and Windows laptops, Android phone, and FireTVstick. Many countries and cities to choose from.

With NordVPN can you turn it on & off at any given time?

Some people may not know what a Virtual Private Network is. It hides your IP address to help protect your identity. It doesn't cost much and protects you from most hackers reading the files on your PC. You also need a good real time anti-virus / anti-intrusion product as well. I personally use NordVPN and Webroot.

www.pcmag.com is a good source of information.

jymbee said:
With NordVPN can you turn it on & off at any given time?

Yes... The method varies depending on the device you're using, but it's simple to turn it on and off with all of them. On my laptop, I just use a extension with Chrome to turn it on and select which country I want to appear to be in. On my Firestick and Android phone, I can even select which city I appear to be in. Great for using Locast for local channel streaming. The city has to be one of many where NordVPN has servers of course.

I have a VPN on my laptop and cell phone.  I don't use them for basic internet stuff, but will turn it on for anything financial, identity, and when dealing with my website.  I will use it to show my IP in a different country sometimes so I can watch different movies and some other government websites will not load to US IP addresses. 

A VPN doesn?t have anything to do with any services. Is is simply an encrypted connection between you and your destination.
Unfortunately, properly setting up a vpn is complex. Your destination needs to understand your vpn. This is where all the ?services ? come in. They provide a service between you and them ( which they may encrypt) and then connect to your destination. Unless your destination is set up to do an encrypted connection, it isn?t.

Trust me. No one is trying to decode your connection . They are trying social attacks to get your passwords. Never give personal info to anyone who initiated a conversation. No reputable organization will ask.

I simply set up my router/firewall to discard any unsolicited request. Done.

NordVPN is very easy to set up and use. You can turn it on or off easily and select different countries. It's handy to see how your web site acts in other countries. Google and other advertisers often won't provide product information outside the US since it's a pay per click service so you need to turn it off if want to use sales ads. Amazon makes you verify your identity.

NY_Dutch said:
Yes... The method varies depending on the device you're using, but it's simple to turn it on and off with all of them. On my laptop, I just use a extension with Chrome to turn it on and select which country I want to appear to be in. On my Firestick and Android phone, I can even select which city I appear to be in. Great for using Locast for local channel streaming. The city has to be one of many where NordVPN has servers of course.

Ah-- got it. Thanks for the info.

Lynx0849 said:
Trust me. No one is trying to decode your connection . They are trying social attacks to get your passwords. Never give personal info to anyone who initiated a conversation. No reputable organization will ask.

I simply set up my router/firewall to discard any unsolicited request. Done.

I set up and maintained a SonicWall system some years ago. I expect many if not most Internet users would be shocked at the number of probing "attacks" out there with all these crawlers actively looking to exploit any given connection. Looking at the logs is pretty scary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom