Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditsjets7

Hi all! So we bought a 2003 Coachmen Leprechaun 31 ft. We bought it from a local dealer. After the first big rain storm we discovered a leak in the front of the cab. A seam over the top bunk opened up and had let some water in. When I brought it back to the dealer they fixed it free of charge and sealed it up. I did some research on dicor rubber ceiling and I asked the service manager if you thought I needed to do that to my roof. He told me I would probably have to do it within a year or so as it's getting "close" he said it would cost around $2000 to have it done professionally, but I could get the kit and do it myself for les than 600. I then watched this video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OrzKWZ1Mw-o

Is there any harm with me seeing how long I can push it before I do this job? Also, does $2000 sound  unreasonable?

They provided me with a two year warranty with a $1000 deductible, I am curious as if that would cover this? Also, I can't help but think and wonder, should I go back to the sales department and PUSH for them to seal coat the roof on their dime? I have bought a Pop Camper, a Boat, and now this Motor Home from this establishment in the past 5 years. They have always gone out of their way to make sure I am a satisfied customer, however I can't help but wonder with this situation if I got " shafted" with buying a motor home with a roof that is soon in need of a seal coat job.

Ok a lot of questions for you all mixed in with some venting, thanks to all for your insight. 

Mike

Just my opinion here! Roof leakage (water) is probably the biggest enemy to an RV. Even ?if? you have an aluminum framed side-wall construction, the water ?will? find it?s way to the flooring, creating a very expensive fix. Not to mention the cosmetic damage to interior walls. Stopping the water is a must.  Your roof is very likely at the end of it?s life-Cycle, so it is time. If done professionally (correctly), $2K is probably not a bad price. ?If? and I do mean ?if? you plan on keeping the RV for many years then there are roof replacements that are (at least should be) superior to a replacement with the original rubber roof material....but quite expensive. How you go about working with the dealer on assistance is your call!  But....IMHO, don?t wait too long on the roof ?fix?!

Thank you!

I spoke to the service manager this morning, he is going to speak to the sales department. I realize I bought a 14 year old used Motor Home, but I should not accept problems right out of the gate. They did give me a 2 year warranty with a 1000 deductible. if they were to meet me in the middle I could live with that, waiting to hear back.

I do plan on keeping the Motor Home for several years, dealing with water damage is not something I want to do.

I asked if I should buy a " cover" they told me covers are over rated and can even cause more problems. So I am torn on this issue. Also,  we get a lot of snow and ice where I live.

I haven't yet heard a reason why you need to replace the entire rubber roof membrane.  At age 14 it is getting old, but most last at least that long and 20-25 years is quite common. Leaks occur primarily at seams and around openings (skylights, a/c, etc) and those are fixed by re-sealing (caulking) those areas. Class C coaches like yours are notorious for leaks where the cab-over part joins the main coach body. It is subject to a lot of stress and not well supported, so leaks there are common. Mostly what it needs is an annual inspection and touch-up of those seams.

Yes, you can DIY. It's mostly a lot of work, but not technically difficult. $2000 is not a lot for a roof replacement, and many RV dealers try to get $4000-$5000 for that sort of job.  However, it's not clear exactly what you would be getting for that price. All new roof membrane from front to rear, or just the front cabover area re-done?

That's appropriate if the membrane is in fact worn down, i.e. you can see the weave of the backing material. If not, wait till that happens.

I think $2k for an overcoating is pricey for what is involved, but RV dealers shops get $100-$125 per hr so it doesn't take long to run up a big labor bill. Still, I think one guy could do that in a half day if he knows what he is doing, and no more than a 8 hour day if not.  You probably won't find a dealer shop to do it for less, though.

The roof is definitely not showing any "weaving" it's just a shade dark from the crud that has accumulated over time. I would much rather wait until I needed to do this without waiting "too long" and costing myself more innthe end. This is very helpful. Thank you.

Mike

The TPO on my roof is 16 plus years old and the mh has never been stored inside.  After I wash it with bleach and Dawn, it looks about 95% of new.  I don't understand why yours needs to be replaced.

I think the environment plays into the lifespan of any roof, EDPM, TPO, Aluminum, or Fiberglass.

The sun  (especially here in the southwest) will cook a roof to death.

A cover is a real hassle to get on and off, no matter what the cover advertising claims.  Obviously it gives some protection to the body & roof, but it also causes higher moisture inside, eliminates the sunlight that helps reduce molds, and can cause wear at places that rub as the cover flaps in the breezes. Most people conclude the cons are at east equal to the pros, but opinions - and storage conditions - vary. Some people cover theirs for winter storage but not otherwise, while most do not cover at all.

Hi all, so the Service Manager at the dealership where I purchased my Motor Home listened to me when I made my case about the roof. To paraphrase:

"I know and realize I purchased a 14 year old unit, not a new unit fresh off of the assembly line. However I do not feel "good" about the fact that I purchased this R.V. when you are telling me that within a year it will need a " Dicor reseal" job. I am not asking for this for nothing, but I would like to see if we can't meet somewhere in the middle. "

The Service Manager went to bat for me with the Sales department and this was their offer.

The write up of the entire job which according to them takes 4 days to clean, prep, let dry, and put down two coats of Dicor would be $1,900 with the labor. If I were to purchase the kit at retail from them to d0 it myself it would cost me $400.00
SO.... they took their mark up percentage off the kit which was a bottle of cleaning solution and two gallons of Dicor. They are charging me $250.00 which is approximately their cost price and they are doing the job for no charge. So I will be getting the entire job done inside a huge warehouse garage, two coats of Dicor....$250.00

I thanked him and I gladly accepted the offer. I think I made out pretty well. I am interested on hearing what all of you think..... Thanks every one.

Mike, one happy camper!

Back
Top Bottom