Winterizing: When is enough - enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

I've always read that antifreeze should be introduced into the system until pink runs from the faucet. The label says it's good down to -50 degrees. We could easily get double digit negative temps this winter. This is my first time and am a little gun shy especially with the new washer / dryer.

So I took some samples from my "winterized" coach and stuck them in the freezer only to find them turning to slush or worse at 10 or 15 degrees. samples were like popsicles, not hard like ice cubes.

Is this normal or do I need to go at this again?

Tom

My understanding is that the antifreeze does not expand like water,so it doesn't burst the pipes.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.

It is normal for the pink stuff to freeze.  Like said above, it doesn?t expand and break plumbing like plain water.

That's why I always blow out all the lines with 40psi from compressor and only add pink stuff to sink drains and toilet. Don't have to worry about freezing. Also leave all faucets, etc open so any remaining moisture evaporates.

mweber (KC9NPT) said:
That's why I always blow out all the lines with 40psi from compressor and only add pink stuff to sink drains and toilet. Don't have to worry about freezing.

Me too.  Blow out the lines and add the pink to sink drains the toilet and the washer drain pipe.

We do both... blow out the lines, including the ice maker lines, then let the pump pull the pink stuff into the line, except for the ice maker lines. Even with the high pressure compressed air, all of the water never gets out and what's left trickles back down to the low spots so we try to fill the low spots with the antifreeze. Then we put the pink stuff into the traps.  Remember to pull the filters before using the pink stuff.  We also bypass the water heater in this process and drain it separately.

I have always used the pink stuff.
Run each tap until it shows pink takes care of the traps as well as the pump. Bypass the water heater of course.
Trailers survived real-life temps of -40 degrees with no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom