Grand Canyon photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I decided to put all my best Grand Canyon shots into one album. I put my favorite shots in the beginning. There are over 300 shots in the album and that isn't 1/1000th of how many I actually took.

The link is down below in my signature:

So many beautiful photos, as usual.  The condor shots are magnificent.  Have to admit the two little squirrels (chipmunks?) eating the ice cream cone was my favorite.

Tom and Margi said:
So many beautiful photos, as usual.  The condor shots are magnificent.  Have to admit the two little squirrels (chipmunks?) eating the ice cream cone was my favorite.
Thank you Margi. Those are rock squirrels and there are lots of them on the south rim. I did not put the ice cream cone down and set up this shot. I walked past a group on the rim gathered around two teenage Japanese girls who were posing next to the squirrels. I gently pushed everyone out of the way and got down and framed this shot in about three seconds. No retakes and I got the shot. One of my all time favorite shots.

Great pictures. I have not gotten to see that part of the country yet.  My favorites are the Condors in flight.

You've got a lot of beautiful shots, Tom, as we would expect. Although it's not the most beautiful (canyon views and squirrels and sunsets and animals of various sorts, etc. etc. are prettier), the one with the condor and airliner flying opposite directions really caught my eye -- neat shot. I also like the almost puzzled look on the bobcat's face, and I love the one called "sheep chewing."

You have a lot to be proud of there, Tom -- thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks Larry. Most of the shots that I like aren't beautiful. Interesting subject matter is more important to me. Notice only one shot of a pretty girl and there are lots of them running around the south rim. :eek:

Just looked at all of them again.  I've always like that photo of the Lookout Studio with the rain coming down.  Too many good ones to choose favorites, but I always seem to try.  :)

Tom and Margi said:
Just looked at all of them again.  I've always like that photo of the Lookout Studio with the rain coming down.  Too many good ones to choose favorites, but I always seem to try.  :)
Thanks Margi. I have several good shots of Lookout Studio, it seems you just can't miss photographing anything Mary Jane Colter designed. She is incredible. Lookout Studio, Hopi House, Watchtower, Hermit's Rest, Bright Angel Lodge and Phantom Ranch are all mind blowing. I never made it down to Phantom Ranch but I have seen many photos. She was genius.

Sun2Retire said:
If I recall correctly, these are all taken with your phone, yes?
No, I started using the phone three years ago and I have been to the canyon twice in that time but I didn't take many photos. The vast majority were taken with DSLRs. A Canon 20d and 50d and a Sony a55 are the main units. Cell phone cameras don't have much zoom and a lot of those shots are zoomed in.

Ah, I wondered. Really great pictures no matter the device  :))

Sun2Retire said:
Ah, I wondered. Really great pictures no matter the device  :))
The vast majority of these photos were taken before 2010 which is before cell phone cameras were mature enough to be used as a prime shooter. I really don't miss dragging a boat anchor around on my neck all day long.

Attachments

• Tom 2009-11.jpg
    Tom 2009-11.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 16
Tom, finally got around to checking out your GC shots.  Were the condor shots taken at the south rim, or up in the Vermillion Cliffs area? 
We host at Demotte Campground at the north rim.  On our days off sometimes we like to go to the viewing area down House Rock rd.  We've always seen condors there within a few minutes of stopping.  Never more than 3 or 4, though.  Not like that pic where you have them numbered.

Old_Crow said:
Tom, finally got around to checking out your GC shots.  Were the condor shots taken at the south rim, or up in the Vermillion Cliffs area? 
We host at Demotte Campground at the north rim.  On our days off sometimes we like to go to the viewing area down House Rock rd.  We've always seen condors there within a few minutes of stopping.  Never more than 3 or 4, though.  Not like that pic where you have them numbered.
Almost every shot was taken on the south rim within a hundred yards of Lookout Studio. A few were taken at Navajo Bridge. The shot with 13 condors still blows my mind. I have never seen that many in a single photograph of wild condors however recently I saw a video of a cage full of condors and there appeared to be more than 13 but the camera person had ADHD like lots of video people have. I have never been to the north rim, it is on my bucket list. I did see over 25 in the air at one time but they would have been too small to identify so I didn't take a shot. There were also some TVs and ravens flying with them. A condor kettle. 8)

Yeah, I had that shot of Navajo Bridge as my wallpaper for a while.  It was better than any I had.  Today I'm using the condor under the moon shot.

There's a fairly nice lodge right next door to the campground we host at, and we'll be there starting May 15 when the campground opens.  Get out that bucket and come on down.

SeilerBird said:
I decided to put all my best Grand Canyon shots into one album. I put my favorite shots in the beginning. There are over 300 shots in the album and that isn't 1/1000th of how many I actually took.

The link is down below in my signature:

Absolutely beautiful photos of the Grand Canyon. Good job! Do you mind if I use a few on a promotion site my school has for Japanese college students (all females) who are coming from Japan to visit the Grand Canyon?

http://www.mukogawa-u.ac.jp/~global/

Back
Top Bottom