Looking at boxes for Dish antenna, suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

We have the automatic HD (non-dome) Dish antenna (Traveller?) mounted on the coach and have never used it. Thinking about getting a box for it for a trip planned for next year and have had the Dish Solo HD Receiver ViP 211z on my wish list for some time. Had a closer look and there are a large number of complaints about this box - are there alternatives I should be considering?

I have 2 of the 211z boxes. Both work well. 
One is hooked to a tailgater antenna for the rear TV, the other is hooked to an old Winegard in-motion dish that came with the coach.  Only had to change some dip switches on the old dish to convert from Direct to my Dish acct.

OK thanks. Based on both of your input went ahead and ordered. Was just alarmed that it received a fair number of poor reviews.

With a Trav'ler on the roof, I would have preferred a multi-tuner Hopper2 or 3 DVR instead of the 211z, but if you're satisfied a single tuner receiver will work for you, then I would have preferred to find a 211k that has a built-in OTA tuner instead of needing an extra cost USB OTA adapter like the 211z or Wally. I'm expect the 211z will do a decent job for you though...

NY_Dutch said:
With a Trav'ler on the roof, I would have preferred a multi-tuner Hopper2 or 3 DVR instead of the 211z, but if you're satisfied a single tuner receiver will work for you, then I would have preferred to find a 211k that has a built-in OTA tuner instead of needing an extra cost USB OTA adapter like the 211z or Wally. I'm expect the 211z will do a decent job for you though...

We?re not interested in OTA but re the ?multi-tune?, what is that, and what?s the advantage?

Sun2Retire said:
We?re not interested in OTA but re the ?multi-tune?, what is that, and what?s the advantage?

The Hopper 2 (Hopper w/Sling) DVR receiver has three tuners, allowing you to record up to three different channels at once. The newer Hopper 3 has 16 recordable tuners! Both Hoppers also support a Dish feature called "Prime Time Anytime", where all four major networks can be recorded at once during prime time hours using only one of the available tuners. If you have a second TV, the Hoppers also support add-on Joey sub-receivers that connect to the Hopper to supply independent programming for the other TV. The Hopper 2 and 3 also have Sling streaming capability built in, allowing you watch programing streamed from your Hopper on a PC, smartphone, tablet, or Amazon Fire TV or FireTVstick equipped TV anywhere you have Internet available and sufficient data plan to support it.

The 211z and Wally, on the other hand, have just one non-recordable tuner for watching one channel at a time. You can however, add an external hard drive and pay a one time $40 fee to get limited DVR capabilities added. You'll still only be able to record and/or watch one channel at a time though. You can also record a channel while watching a pre-recorded program though.

NY_Dutch said:
The Hopper 2 (Hopper w/Sling) DVR receiver has three tuners, allowing you to record up to three different channels at once. The newer Hopper 3 has 16 recordable tuners!

The 211z and Wally, on the other hand, have just one non-recordable tuner for watching one channel at a time.

Thanks for the explanation. We're not big TV watchers (just watch movies and DVDs at home), so all these extra bits would be wasted on us - one channel at a time is one channel more than we have at home!

Sun2Retire said:
Thanks for the explanation. We're not big TV watchers (just watch movies and DVDs at home), so all these extra bits would be wasted on us - one channel at a time is one channel more than we have at home!

In that case, the 211z should work quite well for you! You may even be happy with the smallest Dish "Flex" programming package. ;)

Back
Top Bottom