Kerosene heater use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B737doc

Having access to jet fuel here at work, I can run mr kerosene heater for much less money than the propane furnace...  Is it safe to run a kerosene heater in our vintage motorhome????

I would think you would have to have very good ventilation. When we first got to Japan we stayed off base for a couple of weeks. The houses had kerosene heat. Man, did it stink. Good thing those houses were extremely drafty.

B737doc said:
Is it safe to run a kerosene heater in our vintage motorhome? ???

Absolutely not. No matter how many windows are open.

Hi B737doc,

I like Kerosene heaters and use for back-up at our house. The problem in a motorhome, is the small amount of space they have. Running a Kerosene heater in such an enclosed space would result in the oxygen being depleted and deadly gases. Either can kill you and your family members. As said above, not recommended at all.

Kerosene heaters do consume oxygen from the air in the room and produce small amounts of CO2 and NO2. They can also produce dangerous CO if not operated properly or in good condition.  Adequate ventilation is a requirement, especially in small spaces (like an RV!).  Kerosene heaters also produce a petroleum smell that many people find objectionable.

Learn more about kerosene heater safety at:
http://nasdonline.org/1295/d001100/kerosene-heater-safety.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom