Slides out before jacks down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things may have changed but mine is the other way: jacks down then slides

Different manufacturers give different answers to that -- some say one way, some the other. To me, though, the stresses on the slides (and RV) would seem to be least when the RV is level prior to extending the slides. Also, properly leveled, you have less chance of a slight twist in the frame, which could cause problems.

Alpena Jeff said:
That's what my dealer is telling me.
Stay loose friends. I have lots more questions.
There is only one reason for forums to exist online and that is to answer questions. Don't be shy, ask all you want. The only dumb questions are the ones you do not ask.

LOL! With my last coach got two different and opposite sets of "official instructions" on slide deployment!  And different RV makers give different advice as well. I suspect is doesn't really make much difference in the big picture anyway.  It was usually most convenient for us to level first and did it that way, but if we had concerns about space for the slides, we did slides first in case we needed to move the coach again.

I suppose it is possible that the weight of the slides will alter the level if they are deployed afterward, but I've never encountered that in any of the 4 rigs we owned that had slides.  I've also heard that rigs with air-level (rather than hydraulic) can lean if the slides are deployed after, but also that the air auto-level picks that up and corrects within a few minutes anyway.

I think this is one of those topics that makes for an interesting campfire debate but is largely academic in the real world.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I think this is one of those topics that makes for an interesting campfire debate but is largely academic in the real world.
That statement is probably as accurate as any. I haven't bought a MH yet, but the first one I looked at had two slides, both on the same side of the coach. It seems that a lot have them on opposing sides. I wonder if this some of the reason that instructions for extending them are inconsistent?

I think most RV manufacturers recommend leveling the coach with the jacks before deploying the slides. At our stadium parking lot, where most of our local RV shows are held, however, you'll see virtually all the RVs with their slides extended, but none of them have their jacks down. That's because the stadium operator doesn't allow the jacks to be used, for fear of damaging the asphalt. Doesn't seem to hurt the RVs at all.

Here's something to consider though... and it may not apply to everyone to the same degree. We boondock a lot, where the surfaces are usually uneven, and we're nowhere near level until we use the jacks. Our coach is 43 feet long and our full-wall slide is 28 feet long. If I were to extend that slide while sitting on a very uneven surface, and then level the coach, I'd be concerned about twisting the slideout mechanism.

I wouldn't think twice about deploying our bedroom slide under the same conditions - it's only about eight feet long. I'd be somewhat concerned about our kitchen/living room slide, which is about 15 long, but that full-wall slide is long. The Owners Manual says to always use the jacks first, and then deploy the slides. So far, that's worked well.

Kev

SeilerBird said:
Two different times I drove off with a slide extended and it didn't seem to bother them.
That reminds me of the time I looked in my rear-view mirror to see things bouncing around in the road and wondering how I could not have seen that as I drove through. I quickly realized it was my stuff that had fallen out because I forgot to close my tailgate... :-[

On my coach if the coach is not level and the jacks are not down the slides will not come out.

Once the jacks are deployed (even if not touching the ground) the slides will come out.
I'm not sure if the coach was WAY out of level if that would stop the slides from coming out or not.
I have not tried to extend the slides WAY out of level -because then I would level with the jacks first.

I have hydraulic slides.  I didn't see the OP list what kind of slide unit he has - so I don't know if that makes any difference.

But for the record my manual states level first then slides out - slides in then jacks up.

I use my one slide regularly without the jacks down, as long as I am on fairly level ground. I am of the school of no jacks down at walmarts ect. Slides I will put out if I can get a spot along a grassed area or island, but usually dont.

I have used my jacks once in the past three years; to install four tires and then at the request of the mechanic. He accepted the responsibility to get the damn things back up (took him about 15 minutes using a floor jack).

Ernie

Kevin Means said:
I think most RV manufacturers recommend leveling the coach with the jacks before deploying the slides. At our stadium parking lot, where most of our local RV shows are held, however, you'll see virtually all the RVs with their slides extended, but none of them have their jacks down. That's because the stadium operator doesn't allow the jacks to be used, for fear of damaging the asphalt. Doesn't seem to hurt the RVs at all.

Here's something to consider though... and it may not apply to everyone to the same degree. We boondock a lot, where the surfaces are usually uneven, and we're nowhere near level until we use the jacks. Our coach is 43 feet long and our full-wall slide is 28 feet long. If I were to extend that slide while sitting on a very uneven surface, and then level the coach, I'd be concerned about twisting the slideout mechanism.

I wouldn't think twice about deploying our bedroom slide under the same conditions - it's only about eight feet long. I'd be somewhat concerned about our kitchen/living room slide, which is about 15 long, but that full-wall slide is long. The Owners Manual says to always use the jacks first, and then deploy the slides. So far, that's worked well.

Kev

I think Kevin said it well.  If you are on level ground there is no need to level first, but I would want to be really sure of that. 

Personally, I always level first for everything except, occasionally, my bedroom slide. Even with leveling I have snapped off an adjustment bold on my full length slide, so I take no chances. The bedroom slide is my only hydraulic slide so think that is perhaps less prone to damage than the rack and pinion slides.  As for dealer advice, I would always default to what my manual tells me and mine says to first level the coach.

This is a topic where everyone has an opinion so I am betting this will go to 3 pages of replies. My neighbor with a 35' Winnebago Adventurer always sets up in the street in front of his home with slides out and no levelers and has never had any issue, but it is pretty level there anyway.

I suppose it is possible that the weight of the slides will alter the level if they are deployed afterward, but I've never encountered that in any of the 4 rigs we owned that had slides.

We have a full wall slide on the driver's side that is so heavy that it always alters the level of the coach. I always put the jacks down first and level the coach. Then I over compensate for the weight on the driver's side. If I don't then the driver's side will cause the coach to be off level. If I'm not extending the full wall slide for any reason, then I don't necessarily deploy the jacks if it's on level ground.

Book says to lower jacks first, dealer said slides first. I've done both with same result. Think I will stay with jacks first.
That said, I have a slope in my driveway side to side as the coach sits. It's not what I would call a big slope. Just enough for rain run off. The coach will not come to perfect level. Could it be I have run out of stroke on the low side? I can test with a 2x12 once the rain stops.
Other ideas?
Thanks, Jeff

Alpena Jeff said:
Could it be I have run out of stroke on the low side? I can test with a 2x12 once the rain stops.
Other ideas?
Thanks, Jeff
With my coach I can lift the front wheel off the ground - something that I don't do on purpose but it has happened that's how I know.

So it depends on your opinion of what - not a big slope is.

Are you using a bubble level inside the coach or just the lights on the system which I assume are not going out so you think (and may be right)
that it's not level?

There are times that I think the stroke is out quite a ways and it's level enough (though not perfect) and I call it good enough because I
don't what to lift a wheel off the ground - and then put out the slides with no problems.

There are other times when if I know it's going to rain I will let the front end be low so the water runs off the slides.

I'm sure in a short time you will figure it out and come up with a system of what to do under different situations.  Have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom