EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Slides out before jacks down?  (Read 1567 times)

Alpena Jeff

• ---
Slides out before jacks down?
« on: October 21, 2017, 07:24:23 AM »
That's what my dealer is telling me.
Stay loose friends. I have lots more questions.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
Cummings ISBXT turbo 6.7L 360HP
Allison 3000MH
2018 Canyon All Terrain toad
"Official" snowbird!
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan
Preachers kid since day one!

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
Re: Slides out before jacks down?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 07:31:49 AM »
Things may have changed but mine is the other way: jacks down then slides
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 07:56:39 AM »
Different manufacturers give different answers to that -- some say one way, some the other. To me, though, the stresses on the slides (and RV) would seem to be least when the RV is level prior to extending the slides. Also, properly leveled, you have less chance of a slight twist in the frame, which could cause problems.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 08:05:55 AM »
What Larry said ^^^ :)) :)) :))
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 08:07:17 AM »
That's what my dealer is telling me.
Stay loose friends. I have lots more questions.
There is only one reason for forums to exist online and that is to answer questions. Don't be shy, ask all you want. The only dumb questions are the ones you do not ask.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 08:15:58 AM »
LOL! With my last coach got two different and opposite sets of "official instructions" on slide deployment!  And different RV makers give different advice as well. I suspect is doesn't really make much difference in the big picture anyway.  It was usually most convenient for us to level first and did it that way, but if we had concerns about space for the slides, we did slides first in case we needed to move the coach again.

I suppose it is possible that the weight of the slides will alter the level if they are deployed afterward, but I've never encountered that in any of the 4 rigs we owned that had slides.  I've also heard that rigs with air-level (rather than hydraulic) can lean if the slides are deployed after, but also that the air auto-level picks that up and corrects within a few minutes anyway.

I think this is one of those topics that makes for an interesting campfire debate but is largely academic in the real world.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

GeorgeandTheBear

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 09:42:06 AM »
I think this is one of those topics that makes for an interesting campfire debate but is largely academic in the real world.
That statement is probably as accurate as any. I haven't bought a MH yet, but the first one I looked at had two slides, both on the same side of the coach. It seems that a lot have them on opposing sides. I wonder if this some of the reason that instructions for extending them are inconsistent?
Voted most likely to end up working at a car wash.

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 11:08:55 AM »
Mine has opposing slides front and rear if that helps.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
Allison 3000MH
"Official" snowbird!

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 12:29:13 PM »
I think most RV manufacturers recommend leveling the coach with the jacks before deploying the slides. At our stadium parking lot, where most of our local RV shows are held, however, you'll see virtually all the RVs with their slides extended, but none of them have their jacks down. That's because the stadium operator doesn't allow the jacks to be used, for fear of damaging the asphalt. Doesn't seem to hurt the RVs at all.

Here's something to consider though... and it may not apply to everyone to the same degree. We boondock a lot, where the surfaces are usually uneven, and we're nowhere near level until we use the jacks. Our coach is 43 feet long and our full-wall slide is 28 feet long. If I were to extend that slide while sitting on a very uneven surface, and then level the coach, I'd be concerned about twisting the slideout mechanism.

I wouldn't think twice about deploying our bedroom slide under the same conditions - it's only about eight feet long. I'd be somewhat concerned about our kitchen/living room slide, which is about 15 long, but that full-wall slide is long. The Owners Manual says to always use the jacks first, and then deploy the slides. So far, that's worked well.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 12:34:08 PM »
I don't think that it matters which you do first. Two different times I drove off with a slide extended and it didn't seem to bother them.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »
LOL ;D
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 01:10:04 PM »
LOL ;D
Sometimes I feel like the writers of the movie RV followed me around :o
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

GeorgeandTheBear

• ---
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »
Two different times I drove off with a slide extended and it didn't seem to bother them.
That reminds me of the time I looked in my rear-view mirror to see things bouncing around in the road and wondering how I could not have seen that as I drove through. I quickly realized it was my stuff that had fallen out because I forgot to close my tailgate... :-[
Voted most likely to end up working at a car wash.

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 10:00:27 PM »
On my coach if the coach is not level and the jacks are not down the slides will not come out.

Once the jacks are deployed (even if not touching the ground) the slides will come out.
I'm not sure if the coach was WAY out of level if that would stop the slides from coming out or not.
I have not tried to extend the slides WAY out of level -because then I would level with the jacks first.

I have hydraulic slides.  I didn't see the OP list what kind of slide unit he has - so I don't know if that makes any difference.

But for the record my manual states level first then slides out - slides in then jacks up.
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 04:02:09 AM »
I use my one slide regularly without the jacks down, as long as I am on fairly level ground. I am of the school of no jacks down at walmarts ect. Slides I will put out if I can get a spot along a grassed area or island, but usually dont.

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 07:19:37 AM »
I have used my jacks once in the past three years; to install four tires and then at the request of the mechanic. He accepted the responsibility to get the damn things back up (took him about 15 minutes using a floor jack).

Ernie
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:46:16 AM by Ernie n Tara »
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »
I think most RV manufacturers recommend leveling the coach with the jacks before deploying the slides. At our stadium parking lot, where most of our local RV shows are held, however, you'll see virtually all the RVs with their slides extended, but none of them have their jacks down. That's because the stadium operator doesn't allow the jacks to be used, for fear of damaging the asphalt. Doesn't seem to hurt the RVs at all.

Here's something to consider though... and it may not apply to everyone to the same degree. We boondock a lot, where the surfaces are usually uneven, and we're nowhere near level until we use the jacks. Our coach is 43 feet long and our full-wall slide is 28 feet long. If I were to extend that slide while sitting on a very uneven surface, and then level the coach, I'd be concerned about twisting the slideout mechanism.

I wouldn't think twice about deploying our bedroom slide under the same conditions - it's only about eight feet long. I'd be somewhat concerned about our kitchen/living room slide, which is about 15 long, but that full-wall slide is long. The Owners Manual says to always use the jacks first, and then deploy the slides. So far, that's worked well.

Kev

I think Kevin said it well.  If you are on level ground there is no need to level first, but I would want to be really sure of that. 

Personally, I always level first for everything except, occasionally, my bedroom slide. Even with leveling I have snapped off an adjustment bold on my full length slide, so I take no chances. The bedroom slide is my only hydraulic slide so think that is perhaps less prone to damage than the rack and pinion slides.  As for dealer advice, I would always default to what my manual tells me and mine says to first level the coach.

This is a topic where everyone has an opinion so I am betting this will go to 3 pages of replies. My neighbor with a 35' Winnebago Adventurer always sets up in the street in front of his home with slides out and no levelers and has never had any issue, but it is pretty level there anyway.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 07:54:54 AM »
I suppose it is possible that the weight of the slides will alter the level if they are deployed afterward, but I've never encountered that in any of the 4 rigs we owned that had slides.

We have a full wall slide on the driver's side that is so heavy that it always alters the level of the coach. I always put the jacks down first and level the coach. Then I over compensate for the weight on the driver's side. If I don't then the driver's side will cause the coach to be off level. If I'm not extending the full wall slide for any reason, then I don't necessarily deploy the jacks if it's on level ground.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »
Book says to lower jacks first, dealer said slides first. I've done both with same result. Think I will stay with jacks first.
That said, I have a slope in my driveway side to side as the coach sits. It's not what I would call a big slope. Just enough for rain run off. The coach will not come to perfect level. Could it be I have run out of stroke on the low side? I can test with a 2x12 once the rain stops.
Other ideas?
Thanks, Jeff
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
Allison 3000MH
"Official" snowbird!

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 07:41:17 PM »
Could it be I have run out of stroke on the low side? I can test with a 2x12 once the rain stops.
Other ideas?
Thanks, Jeff
With my coach I can lift the front wheel off the ground - something that I don't do on purpose but it has happened that's how I know.

So it depends on your opinion of what - not a big slope is.

Are you using a bubble level inside the coach or just the lights on the system which I assume are not going out so you think (and may be right)
that it's not level?

There are times that I think the stroke is out quite a ways and it's level enough (though not perfect) and I call it good enough because I
don't what to lift a wheel off the ground - and then put out the slides with no problems.

There are other times when if I know it's going to rain I will let the front end be low so the water runs off the slides.

I'm sure in a short time you will figure it out and come up with a system of what to do under different situations.  Have fun.

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 07:52:36 PM »
Thanks for the help. I put a bubble level on it and it's off by half a bubble. It's HWH. Can I manually put the low side jacks down more?
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
Allison 3000MH
"Official" snowbird!

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »
If your not out of stroke I would think you can.

Worse case - put blocking under the foot so it can raise up more.

I have the HWH manual system and can raise or lower either side or the front or back as needed but not just one foot at a time.
They work in pairs usually.

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 08:10:48 PM »
Thanks again. I'll work on it tomorrow.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
Allison 3000MH
"Official" snowbird!

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 08:14:49 PM »
Thanks for the help. I put a bubble level on it and it's off by half a bubble. It's HWH. Can I manually put the low side jacks down more?
My manual says half bubble is okay.
Gene

2011 Honda Fit

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 08:24:39 PM »
My manual says half bubble is okay.

Yea, but the wifey can feel it and thinks it should be level. She's way more sensitive to those things than I.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
Allison 3000MH
"Official" snowbird!

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »
Be very careful about extending your jacks to the full extent.  I just had to have my left-rear jack removed because I had parked with the jack over a dip in the ground.  It leveled okay, but when I tried to retract the jacks, that jack wouldn't come up. To continue our trip we had to take the jack off, which meant I have no jacks. Right now the broken jack is in the back of the toad -- still extended. It won't retract even with the hydraulic line off and the single spring won't pull it back in.i think the jack over extended and probably bent the shaft. These are power-gear jacks.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 02:38:13 PM »
Isn't there a safeguard in place to prevent that from happening?
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
Allison 3000MH
"Official" snowbird!

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 03:08:41 PM »
Yes, don't use the jacks. I had my jacks stuck twice and I realized I didn't need them so I stopped using them. The big problem is that both times they stuck in the down position meaning I could not move until I got the problem solved.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 11:54:11 PM »

I think if you are well out of level it pays to put down leveling blocks to insure you are not extending full stroke.  I have never gotten my levelers stuck out, but the whole thought is scary since I am sure that if it were to happen it would happen just as I was leaving and a hurry to get somewhere.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 08:46:11 AM »
On my coach there is a limit as to how far the jacks will extend. When it reaches that point they stop extending and there is an error message explaining that the motor home is too far off level to continue. I can override that by going to manual operation, but then if my jacks get stuck it would be on me not the system. When I get that message I will put some blocks down and try again or ask for a different site. I'm glad I have the auto leveling system. I would hate to have to level my coach with blocks every time we move to a new CG.
Gene

2011 Honda Fit

Hosted by Over The Network