EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Slides out before jacks down?  (Read 1683 times)

Alpena Jeff

• ---
Re: Slides out before jacks down?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 09:12:36 AM »
Gene, I have that same indicator on my pad. I think I'm good
Thanks, Jeff
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
Cummings ISBXT turbo 6.7L 360HP
Allison 3000MH
2018 Canyon All Terrain toad
"Official" snowbird!
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan
Preachers kid since day one!

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 09:45:01 AM »
Whenever I come across a question like this I try to figure the circumstances in the extreme to devise a solution.  In this case I would picture the coach on a 30 degree or more angle side to side.  So my reasoning is if I try to put out the slides (one on each side) one would go very easily but the one on the high side would have a lot more inertia to overcome to push it up that 30 degree incline.  Whereas if I were leveled first, both slides would operate at what is probably they designed operating parameters.  Now I would not argue that only a very a slight side to side angle would make a great difference.  Soooooo I always level before I put out the slides.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 03:40:13 PM »
Gene, I have that same indicator on my pad. I think I'm good
Thanks, Jeff
:))
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Professor54313

• ---
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »
Look at it from an Engineers point of view.

How long will a 5 ton jack last...if you  only raise 3 tons...or if you raise 5 tons ?
The answer is obvious I believe.

If you extend the slide ..lets say on the left side...then try to level the coach, the weight of the slide puts leverage on the distributed loads and the left side jacks must work much harder than if the slide was in when they functioned .
You can see this easily when you pick up a 10 foot pipe for example. Pick it up in the middle and it's Ok, but pick it up from one end, and you really feel how unwieldy it is.

I studied slides  at various manufacturing plants in Elkart Indiana before buying my RV.
The construction is quite varied and some slide designs are uninhibited whether level or not, and some will respond negatively to any inaccuracy's of not being plumb, so there is no one size fits all.. My own opinion is that "if" your slide functions with a double rack and pinion drive, you are in the cat birds seat with the strongest design !

tboss

• ---
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »
I never xtend my jacks down over half way,,,I have blocks I put under them ,,it makes my coach more stable..  they are usually xtended only abt 3 inchs.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2017, 07:42:11 AM »
I never xtend my jacks down over half way,,,I have blocks I put under them ,,it makes my coach more stable..  they are usually xtended only abt 3 inchs.
That kind of has me puzzled.  My hydraulic jacks (HWH) exert the same amount of pressure whether it is 3 inches or 8 inches.  Putting a lot of blocks (other than pads to avoid sinking) is labor intensive for an old COPD bad heart guy like me...........lol

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

Vern Lusk

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2017, 08:45:14 PM »
Interesting discussion. My 2013 Entegra Aspire requires the slides (4) to be out before leveling, and in before retracting the jacks.
Vern & Toni Lusk
2013 Entegra Aspire 42 DEQ
2008 Ford Edge
Started full timing it in 2016

bamaspivey

• ---
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 08:22:45 PM »
Entegra is the only mfg I know that requires the slides to be extended while the coach is at ride height. It has to do with the fact that the coach is built and the slides are square and plumb with the chassis aired up and at ride height.  Entegra also requires that the coach is aired up (jacks retracted) before you bring the slides in.  If Newmar has started doing this it is news to me but I would call Newmar customer service and ask them, if it was me.

2014 Entegra Aspire
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2017 Tahoe

Lordismyshepherd

• ---
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2017, 06:56:19 AM »
Our coach uses  automatic air leveling.  We always level it before deploying the slides.  Rarely the system will have to adjust once they are out.  It probably doesn't make a difference but I just feel better doing it this way.
Art & Lori
2001 Monaco Signature 45G

Hosted by Over The Network